EDITOR S NOTES 1Robert D. Reason
1. Overview of the Core Commitments Initiative 5Caryn McTighe Musil
The former vice president of the Association of American Colleges and Universities (AAC&U) provides an overview of the initiative intended to reinvigorate the conversation about personal and social responsibility within higher education.
2. Higher Education s Role in Educating for Personal and Social Responsibility: A Review of Existing Literature 13Robert D. Reason, Andrew J. Ryder, Chad Kee
This chapter reviews the literature related to the development of personal and social responsibility during college and serves as the foundation for the remaining chapters.
3. Broadening Our Understanding and Assessment of Personal and Social Responsibility: A Challenge to Researchers and Practitioners 23Carol Trosset
In this chapter, Trosset uses current research to argue that our understanding of personal and social responsibility should include behavioral outcomes of personal responsibility, challenging researchers and practitioners to move beyond the study of attitudes and civic engagement or community service.
4. Measuring Campus Climate for Personal and Social Responsibility 31Andrew J. Ryder, Joshua J. Mitchell
The chapter explores the many issues involved with creating and assessing campus climates designed to facilitate students development of personal and social responsibility and introduces the Personal and Social Responsibility Inventory that developed from the Core Commitments Initiative.
5. Infusing Personal Responsibility into the Curriculum and Cocurriculum: Campus Examples 49Nancy O Neill
In this chapter, O Neill uses data from the Personal and Social Responsibility Inventory and interviews with campus professionals at Core Commitments colleges to highlight policy initiatives to improve students development of personal responsibility during college.
6. Infusing Social Responsibility into the Curriculum and Cocurriculum: Campus Examples 73Robert D. Reason
This chapter uses data from the Personal and Social Responsibility Inventory and interviews with campus professionals at Core Commitment colleges to highlight several policy initiatives to improve students development of social responsibility during college.
7. Strengthening and Deepening Education for Personal and Social Responsibility 83Chris R. Glass
Glass explores the strategies employed at Core Commitment institutions to ensure the effectiveness and long–term viability of institutional reform efforts aimed at the development of personal and social responsibility.