The volume argues that any hopeful response to these threatening developments requires the fundamental revision of such basic ideas as sovereignty, democracy and security. These organizing conceptions of political life are being reshaped during this era of transition from a state–centric world of geopolitics to a more centrally guided world of geogovernance. This book contends that geogovernance will have adverse consequences for the human condition unless it can be mainly constructed by transnational democratic forces animated by a vision of human governance. The character of this vision, and the politics of its realization, are set forth in the final chapters.
On Humane Governance: Toward a New Global Politics has been compiled as a report for the World Order Models Project (WOMP).
1. From Geopolitics to Humane Governance: A Necessary Journey.
2. A Triple Indictment of Inhumane Governance.
3. Sovereignty: A Twisting Path from Modernism.
4. The Democratizing Imperative.
5. Security for Humane Governance.
6. The Stuggle Against Globalization from Above.
7. In Pursuit of Humane Governance: Building Hope in the Coming Era of Geogovernance.
8. The Essential Vision: A Normative Project to Achieve Humane Governance.
Ismat Kittani, Special adviser to the Secretary–General of the United Nations
"This book makes a worthwhile contribution to the growing number of loosely linked neo–idealist texts produced since the end of the Cold War." Political Studies