Leading specialists look at how terrorism is now viewed, the role of the armed forces, the responses of the European Union and NATO, the impact on the transatlantic relationship, the adjustments demanded of different legal systems and financial institutions, and how the media affected responses to these dramatic events.
2. The Nature of Modern Terrorism: John Gearson.
3. The Roots of Terrorism: Probing the Myths: Karin von Hippel.
4. The Coming War on Terrorism: Lawrence Freedman.
5. Finance Warfare as a Response to International Terrorism: Martin Navias.
6. Responding to 11 September: Detention without Trial under the Anti–Terrorism, Crime and Security Act 2001: Helen Fenwick.
7. American Hegemony: European Dilemmas: William Wallace.
11 September and beyond: NATO: Anne Deighton.
11 September and beyond: the impact on the European Union: Charles Grant.
10. Russian Western Relations after 11 September: Selective Cooperation versus Partnership (a Russian View): Nadia Arbatova.