Praise for Making Change Happen in Student Affairs
Barr, McClellan, and Sandeen bring decades of experience to this in–depth examination of the most pressing issues facing higher education. Their unique focus on developing successful strategies to address these issues makes this a must–read for senior leadership working in higher education.
Kevin Kruger, president, NASPA
This is an excellent resource for student affairs leaders and practitioners looking for ideas and solutions for engaging change strategies in their work within higher education organizations.
Linda Kuk, chair, Higher Education Leadership Program, and associate professor, Colorado State University
A much needed book for presidents and grad students alike! Excellent background for CEOs as it will help them realize the professional integration of student affairs in college leadership. The use of case studies and reflective questions are very helpful to graduate students and mid–level professionals.
Penelope (Penny) Wills, president, Yavapai College
Leading change in higher education requires insight, passion, and above all courage. This book provides a thoughtful and instructive blueprint for practitioners at every level of the student affairs profession.
Barbara H. Snyder, vice president for student affairs, University of Utah
About the Authors xi
1. Using Foundational Documents and Ethics in Our Work 1
2. Applying Theory, Literature, and Data to Practice 33
3. Using Resources to Effect Change 53
4. Utilizing Technology in Search of Success 79
5. Advocating for Some Students While Serving All Students 103
6. Fulfilling Our Responsibilities as Educators 133
7. Reframing Our Professional Practice as Institutional Leaders, Entrepreneurs, and Change Agents 163
8. Looking Toward the Future 185