Backyard Poultry Medicine and Surgery is a practical resource offering guidance on developing diagnostic and treatment plans for individual companion poultry or small flocks. Organized by body system to aid in developing a differential diagnosis list for common presenting signs, the book provides all the information clinicians need to effectively treat backyard poultry. Written by experts from both the commercial poultry field and the companion avian field, the book provides thorough coverage of both common and less common diseases of backyard chickens, ducks, and other poultry.
The book begins with introductory chapters covering general information, an overview of US laws, and basic husbandry concerns, then moves into specific disease chapters organized by system. The book takes an individual medicine perspective throughout, with photographs, radiographs, and histopathological photomicrographs to illustrate principles and diseases. Backyard Poultry Medicine and Surgery is an invaluable guide to diseases and treatments for any practitioners treating backyard poultry.
- Offers a practical reference on diseases and treatment of backyard poultry, with clinically relevant information veterinarians need to care for backyard flocks
- Takes an easy–to–use body system approach to help differentiate between diseases
- Focuses on individual diagnostic and treatment options for the individual bird or small flock
- Presents a special chapter on regulatory considerations for medication use in backyard poultry
- Provides more than 200 photographs, radiographs, and histopathological photomicrographs to illustrate the concepts discussed
- Includes access to an accompanying website with photographs, videos, and linked references and websites
Companion website xvii
Section I: General Information
1 Laws and Regulations Governing Backyard Poultry in the United States 3J. Bruce Nixon
2 Common Breeds of Backyard Poultry 18Lillian Gerhardt
3 Basic Housing and Management 27Darrin Karcher
4 Anseriforme Husbandry and Management 34M. Scott Echols
5 Backyard Poultry Nutrition 72Todd J. Applegate
6 Parasitic Diseases 82Richard Gerhold
Section II: Medicine and Surgery
7 Physical Examination Anatomy and Physiology 95Wael Khamas Josep Rutllant–Labeaga and Cheryl B. Greenacre
8 Biosecurity and Zoonotic Diseases 117Teresa Y. Morishita Cheryl B. Greenacre and Marcy Souza
9 Avian Influenza and Viscerotropic Velogenic (Exotic) Newcastle Disease 133Richard M. Fulton
10 Respiratory Disease 137Richard M. Fulton
11 Musculoskeletal Diseases 145Cheryl B. Greenacre
12 Dermatological Diseases 160Angela Lennox
13 Reproductive Diseases 169Eric Gingerich and Daniel Shaw
14 Gastrointestinal and Hepatic Diseases 181Teresa Y. Morishita and Robert E. Porter Jr.
15 Cardiovascular Diseases 204Hugues Beaufrère and Nobuko Wakamatsu
16 Soft Tissue Surgery 220M. Scott Echols
Section III: Diagnostics Drugs and Vaccines
17 Egg Diagnostics 263Teresa Y. Morishita Josep Rutllant–Labeaga and Darrin Karcher
18 Diagnostic Lab Sampling 275Rocio Crespo and H.L. Shivaprasad
19 Interpretation of Laboratory Results and Values 283Rocio Crespo and H.L. Shivaprasad
20 Regulatory Considerations for Medication Use in Poultry 297Lisa Tell and Tara Marmulak
21 Vaccination of Poultry 321Robert E. Porter Jr.