Basic Neuroscience Protocols: Tips, Tricks, and Pitfalls contains explanatory sections that describe the techniques and what each technique really tells the researcher on a scientific level. These explanations describe relevant controls, troubleshooting, and reaction components for some of the most widely used neuroscience protocols that remain difficult for many neuroscientists to implement successfully. Having this additional information will help researchers ensure that their experiments work the first time, and will also minimize the time spent working on a technique only to discover that the problem was them, and not their materials.
- Describes techniques in very specific detail with step-by-step instructions, giving researchers in-depth understanding
- Offers many details not present in other protocol books
- Describes relevant controls for each technique and what those controls mean
- Chapters include references (key articles, books, protocols) for additional study
- Describes both the techniques and the habits necessary to get quality results, such as aseptic technique, aliquoting, and general laboratory rules
Please Note: This is an On Demand product, delivery may take up to 11 working days after payment has been received.
DNA and RNA Extraction Protocols
Agarose Gell Electrophoresis
Reverse Transcription (RT) and Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR)
Antibodies and Titrations
Immunoblotting (Western Blot)
Perfusion and Immersion Fixation
In situ Hybridization
Dr. Corthell received a PhD in Neuroscience from Florida State University, where he studied circadian rhythms using whole-cell patch-clamp electrophysiology, as well as numerous molecular biology techniques, in the olfactory system. He has more than 10 years of experience in laboratory work and techniques in the biological and chemical sciences, and more than 5 years teaching. The author has cultivated these techniques over the years through reading, asking questions, and trial and error. Each of these techniques has been tested, performed, and in some cases optimized by the author himself. He enjoys reading, writing, learning, children, and big dogs. When not working, he longs to go SCUBA diving.