This interactive online e-learning course provides an introduction to the infrastructure of, and services provided by, modern telecommunications systems and provides an overview of the commercial, standardisation and regulatory aspects of telecoms provision.
This course does not assume any prior knowledge of telecommunications.
This e-learning course has a comprehensive range of interactive training facilities to provide a total learning experience. Technical words and acronyms have links to an online glossary giving an instant explanation. Interactive simulations explain concepts and systems operation. Onscreen question sessions at the end of each module test understanding and provide further guidance and instruction. Revision links provide quick access to subjects previously discussed and relevant to the module being studied.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- explain the significance of the terms used to describe the characteristics of communications signals.
- describe the transmission requirements of different types of traffic and the capabilities of the various types of transmission media.
- describe the capabilities and facilities of fixed telephone services, mobile communications and data services.
- describe the underlying infrastructure that delivers telecommunications services and the trend towards convergence.
- describe how the resilience and security of telecommunication services can be maximised.
- describe the need for technical standards and the roles of, and relationships between, the various standards bodies.
- describe the role of the various Internet organisations and the infrastructure that provides Internet services.
- describe the regulation and licensing of telecoms services, including legal aspects such as wayleaves and code powers, the role of national regulators, and lawful interception legislation.
- describe the interconnection of networks and the sharing of network resources with reference to topics such as unbundling, and roaming and interconnection agreements between operators.
- discuss financial considerations such as billing, accounting rates, and call termination charges.
1. Course introduction
2. Transmitting information
3. Telecoms services
4. Standards and regulation
5. Telecoms infrastructure
6. Telephony services
7. Data services
8. The Internet
9. Mobile systems
10. Interconnecting networks