This online course describes mobility in, and the provision of services over, LTE (4G) mobile systems including the various methods of providing telephony over an LTE system.
This course also discusses how the enhanced performance provided by an LTE Advanced system is achieved.
The course begins by discussing the need for a defined Quality of Service (QofS) for a particular service and the methods employed by an LTE Evolved Packet System to deliver the required QofS.
The role of the various Evolved Packet Core (EPC) interfaces, protocols and procedures involved with mobility management including handover to other mobile systems is then described.
Next, the course describes the various ways of providing telephony and a short message service over an LTE mobile system with and without an IP Multimedia System (IMS). The course ends with a description of the benefits of LTE Advanced mobile systems and the techniques employed to provide their enhanced performance.
You will get the most out of this course if you already have an understanding of the principles of operation of the LTE radio access network and Evolved Packet Core. It is recommended that the e-learning course MOF: 'LTE (4G) mobile radio networks' is studied before attempting this course.
This e-learning course has a comprehensive range of interactive training facilities to provide a total learning experience. Technical words and acronyms have links to an online glossary giving an instant explanation. Interactive simulations explain concepts and systems operation.
Onscreen question sessions at the end of each module test understanding and provide further guidance and instruction. Revision links provide quick access to subjects previously discussed and relevant to the module being studied. Once studied as a structured, assessed course, the content can be browsed for revision or reference.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- describe the factors that determine the Quality of Service (QofS) requirements for a particular service and explain how a LTE Evolved Packet System delivers the required QofS.
- describe the role of the various Evolved Packet Core (EPC) interfaces and protocols.
- describe the procedures involved with mobility management including handover to other mobile systems.
- describe the basic functions of the key components of a IP Multimedia Sub-system (IMS).
- describe and compare the various ways of providing a telephony and short message service over an LTE mobile system including Voice over LTE (VoLTE).
- describe the interaction between a mobile device and an IMS in setting up a VoIP call.
- describe the benefits of LTE Advanced mobile systems and the techniques employed to provide their enhanced performance.