Milestone Moments in Getting your PhDin Qualitative Research is a guide for research students completing higher degrees with a focus on the importance of language and terminology of the theoretical and practical requirements of a given research program. The book responds to a lack of preparedness among many entrants into higher-degrees in contemporary higher education. The need among non-traditional entrants into higher-degrees for a strong background in core academic principles is made pressing due to the lack of preparation many students undergo prior to enrolment. This book might be consulted by research students as they proceed through the various milestones that may form part of a higher-degree.
- Offers guidance to research students working through the stages of a higher degree
- Provides practical advice on terminology and language
- Give examples of methodologies, their advantages and disadvantages
- Grounded in real student experience to offer a practical edge
- Milestone 1: Clearing the Decks
- Milestone 2: The Confirmation of Candidature
- Milestone 3: Getting Ethics Clearance
- Part 2: Doing the PhD
- Milestone 4: The Literature Review
- Milestone 5: Methodology
- Milestone 6: Method
- Milestone 7: Technique
- Milestone 8: Collecting the Data
- Milestone 9: Analysing the Data
- Milestone 10: Drawing Conclusions and Making Recommendations
- Milestone 11: Finalising and Submitting the Thesis for Examination
- Milestone 12: Publishing from the Work
Dr Margaret Zeegers is President of the Australian National Section of the International Board on Books for Young People (IBBY) and a Senior Lecturer in the School of Education at the University of Ballarat, Victoria, Australia where she is the Coordinator of the English programs delivered in that School.
Dr Deirdre Barron is the Director of the National Institute for Design Research at Swinburne University of Technology, Victoria, Australia.