This volume details sustainability issues in institutional research (IR) and covers:
- the sustainability challenges we face as institutions, individuals, and the particular need for educational institutions to embrace and address these issues, and why IR needs to be involved in these efforts
- the perspectives of a corporate executive on the practical benefits of pursuing a sustainability program and the importance of data in doing so
- sustainability from a university perspective
- specific resources that IR can use in collecting data relevant to sustainable prosperity.
Editors Notes 1Larry Litten, Dawn Geronimo Terkla
1. The Sustainability Challenge 7James Merkel, Larry Litten
Institutional research brings critical skills and resources to institutions efforts to be sustainable and address the myriad challenges in creating sustainable societies.
2. The Business Case for Sustainability 27Walt Freese
Both corporations and universities can realize practical and ethical benefits from adopting sustainability programs.
3. The University Case for Sustainability 37Lawrence Bacow, William Moomaw
Generalizing from the corporate experience, the authors apply the concepts of sustainability to a university.
4. Metrics and Meaning for Environmental Sustainability 41Gioia Thompson, Sarah Hammond Creighton
Institutional research and sustainability offices need to collaborate in selecting a manageable set of indicators of environmental performance to monitor and report.
5. New Economic and Financial Indicators of Sustainability 55James Pittman, Kevin Wilhelm
Promoting the financial welfare of institutions and managing risk require new approaches to assessing the full costs of institutional operations.
6. Social Indicators of Sustainable Progress for Higher Education 71Terry Link
The well–being of an institution s students, employees, and community constitute essential aspects of sustainable institutional progress.
7. Developing Educational Indicators That Will Guide Students and Institutions Toward a Sustainable Future 83Bert Cohen
Colleges and universities need to develop indicators of students understanding, values, and behavior regarding the challenges and solutions of sustainability.
8. Models and Resources for Advancing Sustainable Institutional and Societal Progress 95Larry Litten, Dawn Geronimo Terkla
This chapter directs institutional researchers to models of sustainability reporting and shows resources that will help them stay abreast of this rapidly developing area of institutional, national, and global concern.