The basic business model for automotive segment is changing with the advent of mobile data connectivity. Smartphones have shown us the advantages of having a mobile data connection, and now the automobile industry is gradually awakening to the fact that providing the customer with internet connectivity-on the go, along with other safety and concierge services could well prove to be the key to survive in the market in the future.
Consumer telematics are end-user-targeted, vehicle-centric information and communication technologies (vehicle ICTs) and services. While safety and security are the cornerstones of consumer telematics offerings, the current global economic scenario may indicate a shift of focus onto technologies which provide the end-user with a system which ensures ease of driving along with ubiquitous net connectivity without compromising on safety and security. With the fuel prices on the rise, applications that contribute to cost savings, by increasing engine efficiency will become a necessity in the future. Focus has also shifted to infotainment-not only in high end cars but also in mass production, which experts belive is going to be a big market in the coming days.
Coming to the current market scenario for consumer telematics, it is estimated to be around the $ 42 Billion mark in 2014. Based on the growth rate seen in various related industries and the market share of the major players in this sector, we could forecast the market numbers for the year 2018.
The CAGR is estimated to be about 23%, for the time period of 2014-2020. Currently the market penetration is seen at 15%, i.e., of all the vehicle units produced globally about 12% have some kind of telematics system (embedded, integrated or tethered) installed in them. Going by the market trends this figure is likely to go up-to 50%, in the market by 2020.
The report also talks about the developments taking place in the market such as the formation of the GENIVI Infotainment platform formed by some of the major industries such as BMW, GM, Delphi, Intel to provide an open source platform to align requirements, deliver reference implementations, offer certification programs.
Currently some of the major players in this field include automotive bigwigs like BMW, Ford, General Motors, Toyota, Mercedes-Benz, Mitsubishi Motors and also tech giants such as Delphi, Robert-Bosch, Continental AG and also other major telematics suppliers like Omnitracs, Trimble Navigation Ltd, Fleetmatics GPS, Masternaut, MiX Telematics etc.
2. Executive Summary
3. Global Consumer Telematics - Market Landscape
3.1. Market Share Analysis
3.2. Comparative Analysis
3.2.1. Product Benchmarking
3.2.2. End user profiling
3.2.3. Top 5 Financials Analysis
4. Global Consumer Telematics - Market Forces
4.1. Market Drivers
4.2. Market Constraints
4.3. Market Challenges
4.4. Attractiveness of the Industry
4.4.1. Power of Suppliers
4.4.2. Power of Customers
4.4.3. Threat of New entrants
4.4.4. Threat of Substitution
4.4.5. Degree of Competition
5. Global Consumer Telematics Market– Strategic Analysis
5.1. Value Chain Analysis
5.2. Opportunities Analysis
5.3. Product/Market Life Cycle Analysis
6. Global Consumer Telematics Market-By Classification
6.1. By Industry
6.1.2. Information Technology
6.1.6. Customer service providers
6.2. By Services Offered
6.2.1. GPS Tracking
6.2.2. Navigation Systems(Intelligent Transport System)
6.2.3. Car Diagnostics System
6.2.4. Fleet Management Services
6.2.5. User based Insurance service(UBI)
6.2.6. Emergency Notification Service
6.2.7. Local Search and Concierge Services
6.2.8. Infotainment Systems
6.3. By Components
6.3.1. Control Unit
6.3.2. On-board RAM
6.3.3. Network Operations System
6.3.4. CAN-bus (Controller Area Network)
6.3.5. Wireless communication infrastructure
184.108.40.206. Bluetooth device
220.127.116.11. Wi-fi device
6.3.6. GPS antenna
6.3.7. GNSS receiver
6.3.8. Visual & Audio interface
6.3.10. Mobile Router
6.4. By Markets
6.4.1. Passenger Vehicle Telematics
6.4.2. Commercial Vehicle Telematics
6.5. By Technology
6.5.1. Integrated Telematics
6.5.2. Embedded Telematics
6.5.3. Tethered Telematics
7. Global Consumer Telematics Market -Geographic Analysis
7.2. North & South America
8. Market Entropy
8.1. New Product Launches
8.2. M&As, Collaborations, JVs and Partnerships
9. Company Profiles (Overview, Financials, SWOT Analysis – Top 5 Companies, Developments, Product Portfolios)
9.1. Omnitracs Ltd.
9.2. BMW AG (Assist)
9.3. Ford Motor Co. (SYNC)
9.4. General Motors (OnStar)
9.5. Agero Connected Services Inc.
9.6. Harman Infotainment
9.7. Toyota Motors(Entune)
9.8. Bosch Automotive Technologies
9.9. Alpine Electronics Inc.
9.10. Continental Automotive
9.11. Airbiquity Inc.
9.12. Trimble Navigation Ltd
9.13. Fleetmatics GPS
9.14. Novatel Wireless
9.15. Telogis Inc
9.16. Auto Page Inc.
9.17. MiX Telematics
9.19. TomTom NV
9.20. Verizon Telematics
*More than 40 Companies are profiled in this Research Report, Complete List available on Request*
"*Financials would be provided on a best efforts basis for private companies"
10.3. Research Methodology
10.5. Compilation of Expert Insights
- Major share of revenues in the market are attributed to GPS navigation systems, Fleet Management and Infotainment.
- Since the early 2000s when the consumer telematics markets started off in a nascent stage, the cost of the equipments have come down drastically, thereby increasing the demand for telematics.
- The trend of only high-end vehicles employing telematics is on the decline with other mass production models of cars also are coming equipped with basic telematics system.
- Though the U.S. is still the major market, other developing countries like China which produces the highset number of passenger vehicles in the world are rapidly gaining ground in the telematics market.
- The Usage-based-Insurance(UBI) concept is fast catching up in Europe(especially Western Europe) and could become a major contributor to the overall telematics industry.
- With decreasing equipment cost, reducing data plan charges and high demand for web connectivity, the connected-car is definitely going to be the automobile of the future.