Essentials of Medical Biochemistry, Second Edition: With Clinical Cases is the most condensed, yet detailed biochemistry overview available on the topic. It presents contemporary coverage of the fundamentals of biochemistry, emphasizing relevant physiologic and pathophysiologic biochemical concepts.
Pivotal clinical case studies aid in understanding basic science in the context of diagnosis and treatment of human diseases, and the text illuminates key topics in molecular immunology and hemostasis.
Users will find basic and fundamental concepts that will aid students and professionals in biochemistry, medicine, and other healthcare disciplines. the text is a useful refresher that will help users meet USMLE and other professional licensing examination requirements, providing thorough introductions, key points, multicolored illustrations of chemical structures and figures, fact-filled tables, and recommended reading lists.
- Presents essential biochemical concepts within the context of their biological functions
- Contains key clinical case studies in each chapter to enhance understanding of basic science and aid in further comprehension
- Offers instructional overview figures, flowcharts, tables and multicolored illustrations
- Includes integrated, recommended reading reference lists within the text
- Provides an online ancillary package inclusive of PowerPoint images and more than 500 study questions to aid in comprehension and USMLE exam preparation
Please Note: This is an On Demand product, delivery may take up to 11 working days after payment has been received.
1. Cells: Structure and Functions
2. Water, Acids, Bases, and Buffers
3. Amino Acids
4. Three-Dimensional Structure of Proteins
5. Energetics of Biological Systems
6. Enzymes and Enzyme Regulation
7. Clinical Enzymology and Biomarkers of Tissue Injury
8. Simple Carbohydrates
9. Heteropolysaccharides I: Glycoconjugates, Glycoproteins, and Glycolipids
10. Connective Tissue: Fibrous and Non-Fibrous Proteins and Proteoglycans
11. Gastrointestinal Digestion and Absorption
12. Carbohydrate Metabolism I: Glycolysis and the Tricarboxylic Acid Cycle
13. Electron Transport Chain, Oxidative Phosphorylation, and Other Oxygen-Consuming Systems
14. Carbohydrate Metabolism II: Gluconeogenesis, Glycogen Synthesis and Breakdown, and Alternative Pathways
15. Protein and Amino Acid Metabolism
16. Lipids I: Fatty Acids and Eicosanoids
17. Lipids II: Phospholipids, Glycosphingolipids, and Cholesterol
18. Lipids III: Plasma Lipoproteins
19. Contractile Systems
20. Perturbations of Energy Metabolism: Obesity and Diabetes Mellitus
21. Structure and Properties of DNA
22. DNA Replication, Repair, and Mutagenesis
23. RNA and Protein Synthesis
24. Regulation of Gene Expression
25. Nucleotide Metabolism
27. Metabolism of Iron and Heme
28. Endocrine Metabolism I: Introduction and Signal Transduction
29. Endocrine Metabolism II: Hypothalamus and Pituitary
30. Endocrine Metabolism III: Adrenal Glands
31. Endocrine Metabolism IV: Thyroid Gland
32. Endocrine Metabolism V: Reproductive System
34. Biochemistry of Hemostasis
35. Mineral Metabolism
36. Vitamin Metabolism
37. Water, Electrolytes, and Acid-Base Balance
38. Case Studies
N. V. Bhagavan is an Emeritus Professor in the department of Anatomy, Biochemistry,
and Physiology at the John A. Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii at Manoa.
An active professor, researcher, and teacher, he has many years of experience in both
the instruction and practice of clinical biochemistry.
Chung-Eun Ha is an Associate Professor in the department of Native Hawaiian Health
at the John A. Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii at Manoa. Since 2001,
he has been teaching medical biochemistry to students who come from disadvantaged
backgrounds. He is also actively involved in the various aspects of molecular biology
and biochemical research in the field of clinical medicine.