Microbial Electrochemical and Fuel Cells: Fundamentals and Applications contains the most updated information on bio-electrical systems and their ability to drive an electrical current by mimicking bacterial interactions found in nature to produce a small amount of power.
One of the most promising features of the microbial fuel cell is its application to generate power from wastewater, and its use in the treatment of water to remove contaminants, making it a very sustainable source of power generation that can feasibly find application in rural areas where providing more conventional sources of power is often difficult.
The book explores, in detail, both the technical aspects and applications of this technology, and was written by an international team of experts in the field who provide an introduction to microbial fuel cells that looks at their electrochemical principles and mechanisms, explains the materials that can be used for the various sections of the fuel cells, including cathode and anode materials, and provides key analysis of microbial fuel cell performance looking at their usage in hydrogen production, waste treatment, and sensors, amongst other applications.
- Includes coverage of the types and principles of electrochemical cells
- Provides information on the construction of fuel cells and appropriate materials
- Presents the latest on this renewable source of energy and the process for the treatment of waste water
Part 1: The Workings of Microbial Fuel Cells
1. Introduction to microbial fuel cells
2. Electrochemical principles and characterisation approaches of bioelectrical systems
3. Electron transfer mechanisms of biofilms
Part 2: Materials for Microbial Fuel Cells and Reactor Design
4. Anode materials for microbial fuel cells
5. Membranes and separators for microbial fuel cells
6. Cathodes for microbial fuel cells
7. Reactor design and scale-up
Part 3: Applications of Microbial Electrochemical and Fuel Cells
8. Microbial fuel cells for wastewater treatment and energy generation
9. Microbial electrolysis cells for hydrogen production
10. Resource Recovery with Microbial Eletrochemical Systems
11. Use of microbial fuel cells in sensors
12. The practical implementation of microbial fuel cell technology