This book presents a wide ranging coverage of principles, state-of-the-art design and up-to-date applications of microstrip antennas; Includes detailed explanations of a variety of analytical techniques from transmission line theory to moments methods and their applications to CAD; Covers the numerous patch designs and array configurations giving many examples of practical applications; Discusses microstrip technology in detail including substrates, processing and environmental aspects; Addresses measurement methods particular to printed antennas such as substrate and connector characterisation and near field probing; Application areas covered include antennas for satellite terrestrial and mobile communications, conformal and aerospace antennas, phased arrays, hyperthermia applicators and millimetric antennas.
- Chapter 2: Analysis of circular microstrip antennas
- Chapter 3: Characteristics of microstrip patch antennas and some methods of improving frequency agility and bandwidth
- Chapter 4: Circular polarisation and bandwidth
- Chapter 5: Microstrip dipoles
- Chapter 6: Multilayer and parasitic configurations
- Chapter 7: Wideband flat dipole and short-circuit microstrip patch elements and arrays
- Chapter 8: Numerical analysis of microstrip patch antennas
- Chapter 9: Multiport network approach for modelling and analysis of microstrip patch antennas and arrays
- Chapter 10: Transmission-line model for rectangular microstrip antennas
- Chapter 11: Design and technology of low-cost printed antennas
- Chapter 12: Analysis and design considerations for printed phased-array antennas
- Chapter 13: Circularly polarised antenna arrays
Professor Jim James has carried out extensive research in Electromagnetics at the Royal Military College of Science where he directs the Wolfson RF Engineering Centre. Much of his recent research work has focussed on microstrip antennas and he is co-author of the IEE book 'Microstrip Antenna Theory and Design'. He was Chairman of the 1983 IEE International Conference on Antennas and Propagation, President of the Institution of Electronic and Radio Engineers in 1985 and is currently Chairman of the IEE Electronics Division.P.S. Hall Reader in Electromagnetics.
Royal Military College of Science, UK.
Dr Peter Hall is Reader in Electromagnetics at the Royal Military College of Science. He is co-author of the IEE book 'Microstrip Antenna Theory and Design' and author of many papers and holder of several patents in the areas of microstrip antennas, arrays and feed structures. He is currently a member of the IEE Professional Group on Antennas and Propagation and Vice Chairman of the 1989 IEE International Conference on Antennas and Propagation.