This book is a must for engineers who have just, or will soon, become team leaders. It is also an essential guide for more experienced team and project leaders who wish to brush up their skills and knowledge.
No matter what type of team or project you are leading you will be provided with practical guidance in setting the direction, plus establishing targets, goals and purpose for a winning team. Getting the environment right for your team to flourish, including motivating performance, will be explored, as will the thorny question of how to manage conflict and underperformance and boost morale when times get tough.
Based on their extensive experience in managing change and building teams, the authors are able to share with you best practice case studies from multi-nationals, government bodies and SMEs around the world.
The book cuts through all the management jargon to show you in realistic terms how to develop your skills, competencies and behaviour, and importantly influence others to change and develop. And finally, once you have created a high performing team it will move on to explore how you might enhance your own career options for the future.
- Chapter 1: Different types of teams
- Chapter 2: Role and responsibilities of team leaders
- Chapter 3: Leadership styles and required attributes
- Part 2: Creating the environment to make it work
- Chapter 4: Continuous improvement
- Part 3: Practical implementation
- Chapter 5: Operational management
- Chapter 6: Recruitment and induction
- Chapter 7: The art of motivation
- Chapter 8: Giving and receiving feedback and the appraisal process
- Chapter 9: Recognition and reward and the development of your team
- Chapter 10: Team enablement/empowerment and delegation
- Chapter 11: Problem-solving activities/quality improvement
- Part 4: Communication strategy
- Chapter 12: Effective communication
- Chapter 13: Breaking down inter-team/departmental barriers
- Chapter 14: Handling conflict
- Part 5: Career management
- Chapter 15: Planning for the future
Pat Wellington is a management consultant who specialises in leadership, the management of change, team building and personal effectiveness. Her assignments not only help build skills and competencies but also bring tangible results in terms of increased productivity and profitability. She has worked with engineers and technical staff in a broad range of industry sectors both in the UK, Europe and SE Asia.Niall Foster
Niall Foster is a consultant and interim director. Niall aligns an organisation's vision, strategies and teams with it's technology, processes and culture to realise bottom line results in the oil and gas, petrochemicals, power and water, IT, medical, and finance sectors.