Framework for Patient Engagement: 6 Stages to Success in a Value-Based Health System details Intermountain's multilayered approach and how it supports its corporate mission: Helping people live the healthiest lives possible.
The accountability is shared by patients, payors, providers, and even the community, as Tammy Richards, corporate director of patient and clinical engagement at Intermountain Healthcare, explains in this 25-page resource. Ms. Richards describes the events that ignited Intermountain's commitment to narrow the patient disengagement divide and engage and re-engage consumers in self-care.
One in three healthcare consumers are disengaged, reporting diminished desire for care, less commitment to prevention, a lack of interest in technology and a lack of financial preparation, according to the Deloitte Center for Health Solutions.
Ms. Richards covers the following aspects of Intermountain's patient engagement approach in this report:
- Factors behind the creation of Intermountain's patient engagement steering committee, work groups and work streams that resulted, and the value of senior leadership commitment to this committee;
- The three key concepts forming the foundation of Intermountain's strategy;
- Intermountain's definition of 'patient engagement;'
- The realities that risk assumption, quality metrics and value-based payment models impose on the healthcare system;
- The six stages of Intermountain's dynamic patient engagement framework, from patient experience to shared accountability, with elements from each;
- Meaningful integration of technology across the engagement framework;
- Highlights from its ongoing health literacy initiative;
- Intermountain's efforts to date to identify metrics for measuring patient engagement progress and performance;
- and much more.
- 3 Tenets of the Intermountain Model
- Data to Develop a Patient Engagement Framework
- Patient Engagement Steering Committee
- 6-Stage Dynamic Patient Engagement Framework
- Stage 1: Patient Experience
- Stage 2: Health Education and Health Literacy
- Stage 3: Shared Decision-Making
- Stage 4: Empowered Consumers
- Stage 5: Engagement of Health
- Stage 6: Shared Accountability
Q&A: Ask the Expert
- Payor-Provider Partnerships in Patient Engagement
- Obstacles to Patient Engagement
- Measuring Patient Engagement
- Possibilities for Pharmacy Collaborations
- Measuring Improvements in Patient Engagement
- Engaging Reluctant Patients
- Commitment of Senior Leadership to Patient Engagement
- Patient Engagement Technology
For More Information
About the Contributor