The twelve topics are the 'must-dos' of public health action. They have been selected because they are those addressed in current national public health strategies such as Saving Lives: our healthier nation, and comparable strategies in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Many are the subject of National Service Frameworks and other national policies and plans; they are often accompanied by targets which health workers are expected to meet.
Topics often relate to each other (e.g. smoking and cancer) so cross-references will be provided.
2. Coronary heart disease and stroke
6. Physical activity
7. Injury prevention
8. Teenage pregnancy
9. Sexually transmitted infections
10. Alcohol use and misuse
11. Drug use and misuse
12. Mental health and mental health promotion
13. Tackling inequalities in health
14. Helping individuals to change behaviour