2. Mechanisms of force generation
3. Control of the contractile process
4. Fibre types and motor units
5. Recruitment and control of motor units
6. Energy metabolism during exercise
7. Muscle working in situ
8. Effect of temperature and activity on muscle contractile properties
9. Introduction to fatigue
10. Mechanisms of fatigue
11. Fatigue during endurance exercise
12. Muscle pain and damage
13. Muscle energetics and efficiency during exercise
14. Muscle growth, development, adaptations and ageing
15. Muscle diseases
De Haan, Arnold Institute for Fundamental & Clinical Human Movement Sciences, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
Round, Joan School of Sport & Exercise Sciences, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK.