Master Dentistry: Oral Biology is designed as a revision guide for dental students and offers the 'curriculum essentials' in an easy-to-digest format. Each section is fully illustrated throughout and is supported by extensive self-assessment questions which allow the reader to assess their own knowledge of the topic and perfect their exam techniques.
New to the Master Dentistry series, this volume addresses oral anatomy and its related histology, physiology and biochemistry and is perfect for both undergraduate students and post-graduates preparing for the MJDF.
1. The anatomy of the oral cavity and the jaws
2. Temporomandibular (craniomandibular) joint
3. The human dentition-tooth morphology and occlusion
4. The oro-facial musculature, mastication and swallowing
5. The tongue, flavour and thermoreception, speech
6. The vasculature, lymphatics and innervation of the oro-dental tissues
7. Salivary glands, saliva and salivation
8. Investing organic layers on enamel surfaces
9. Development of the craniofacial complex
10. Early tooth development, root development (including cementogenesis) and tooth eruption
11. Mechanisms of mineralisation
12. The dental tissues I. Enamel (structure, composition and development)
13. Dental tissues II. The dentine/pulp complex(structure, composition, development and oral pain)
14. The dental tissues III. Cementum (structure and composition)
15. The periodontal ligament (including oral and periodontal mechanoreception and the tooth support mechanism)
16. Alveolar bone (structure and composition)
17. The oral mucosa and gingival crevicular fluid (structure and composition)
Dr Barry KB Berkovitz qualified in Dental Surgery at the Royal Dental Hospital in London in 1962. There soon followed three years of postgraduate research at Royal Holloway College London. Between 1966 and 2004 his time was equally divided between teaching Gross Anatomy and Dental Anatomy, first at the University of Bristol and later at King's College London. He is the author of numerous books and scientific papers, many related to comparative dental anatomy. His well-known textbook 'Oral Anatomy, Histology and Embryology ' by BKB Berkovitz, GR Holland and BJ Moxham is now reaching its 5th edition, while his most recent popular science book is entitled 'Nothing but the Tooth'.
Moxham, Bernard J. Emeritus Professor of Anatomy, Cardiff School of Biosciences, Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK.
B.J. Moxham BSc, BDS, PhD Professor of Anatomy, Cardiff School of Biosciences, Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK
Linden, Roger W. A. Professor of Craniofacial Biology, King's College London, London, UK.
Roger WA Linden BDS, PhD, MFDS, RCS, Professor of Craniofacial Biology, King's College, London, UK
Sloan, Alastair J. Senior Lecturer in Bone Biology and Tissue Engineering, School of Dentistry, Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK.
Alastair J Sloan BSc PhD Senior Lecturer in Bone Biology & Tissue Engineering School of Dentistry, Cardiff University Cardiff, UK