This book will help you with all these concerns. It will tell you what to expect from the placement, what you can learn, how to link theory and practice, and how to make the most of your learning opportunities.
Placement Learning in Mental Health Nursing covers the following areas:
- A logical, step-by-step approach to preparing for a mental health placement
- Helps make the most of learning opportunities
- Explains how to develop mental health competencies
- Narratives from other students describe what the placement will really be like
- Honest discussion of the challenges of a mental health placement to help avoid problems
- Advice on possible approaches to situations that may arise
- Keeps the aim of recovery as a central philosophy in line with contemporary thinking in mental health services.
Section 1 Preparation for practice placement experience
1 Mental health services and nursing: development and practice
2 Introduction to the nature and impact of mental health problems
3 Principles of contemporary mental health practice
4 Mental health practice learning
5 The practicalities of mental health placements
Section 2 Practice-based learning and placement learning opportunities
6 Broad skills for mental health nursing
7 Forming, maintaining and ending therapeutic relationships
8 Collaborative approach to nursing: assessment and care planning
9 Working with people to make choices about their treatment
10 Working with people who hear voices or express unusual beliefs
11 Working with people who are anxious or low in mood
12 Assessing and managing risk
13 Handling difficult situations
14 Demonstrating leadership in a mental health setting
Section 3 Reflecting on practice learning
15 The service user experience
16 Turning challenges into opportunities in mental health placements
Appendix 1: Common acronyms used in mental health settings
Appendix 2: jargon buster
Felton, Anne Lecturer in Mental Health and Social Care, School of Nursing, Midwifery and Physiotherapy, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK.
Bonham, Paul Lecturer in Mental Health and Social Care, School of Nursing, Midwifery and Physiotherapy, University of Nottingham, Derby Education Centre, London Road Community Hospital, Derby, UK.