This Thirteenth Edition has four sections:
- History taking and general examination.
- System examination covering symptoms and signs.
- Examination in special situations including babies & children and the critically ill.
- Assessing clinical examination technique.
Included on the Student Consult site are the specially-recorded videos demonstrating many of the clinical examination routines described in the main text.
- Approach to the patient
- History taking
- The general examination
Section 2: System examination
- The skin, hair and nails
- The endocrine system
- The cardiovascular system
- The respiratory system
- The gastrointestinal system
- The renal system
- The reproductive system
- The nervous system
- The visual system
- The ear, nose & throat
- The musculoskeletal system
Section 3: Specific situations
- Babies and children
- The frail elderly
- The adult with fever
- Assessment for anaesthesia and sedation
- The critically ill
- Confirming death
Section 4: Assessing clinical examination technique
- OSCEs and other examination formats
Nicol, Fiona Formerly GP Principal and Trainer, Stockbridge Health Centre; Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK.
Robertson, Colin Honorary Professor of Accident and Emergency Medicine and Surgery, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK.