Some of the questions that have been explored include:
- What has philosophy and knowledge got to do with nursing practice?
- What is the relationship between theory, research and practice?
- How do nurses make decisions in clinical practice?
- What relevance does reflection have for practice?
- What does being accountable mean for practising nurses?
Although there are several UK texts that focus on nursing theories and models or professional issues none encompass the relationship between the two areas. Unlike some texts, which merely present these issues theoretically, this book is unique in its focus on their meaning and application to practice.
1 - Why is philosophy relevant to nursing?
2 - How do we know?
3 - What is nursing theory?
4 - What is the relationship between nursing theory, research and practice?
Section 2 The Nature of Nursing Practice
5 - How do we use concepts in practice?
6 - What is professional nursing practice?
7 - How do we make decisions about care?
8 - How do we manage care?
9 - What is reflective practice?
Rawlings-Anderson, Karen Senior Lecturer, St Bartholomew School of Nursing & Midwifery, City University, London, UK.