All of these forces are driving semiconductor companies to develop new advanced IC packaging technologies to provide greater silicon integration in increasingly miniaturized packages. The last decade has seen an explosion of new products including fan-out wafer-level packaging (FOWLPs), stacked IC packages and complex system-in-packages (SiPs), as well as advances in package substrates, flip chip interconnection and through silicon vias.
All these advances are enabling significant improvements in packaging density and opening new market opportunities for manufacturers. This latest report reveals the latest technology and market trends in the IC packaging industry by focusing on the most advanced packaging products and solutions-those critical to success in developing cutting-edge products and in maintaining technological leadership. Every market or application segment discussed in the report includes quantitative analysis based on the most current historical years, 2014 and 2015, as well as forecasts from 2016 through 2020. Each of the eight chapters covers a different topic and market segment.
Chapter 2: Executive Summary
Chapter 3: Overview of Worldwide IC Packaging Markets
3.1 IC Package Families
3.2 IC Packaging Market and Unit and Revenue Forecasts
3.3 Key Applications Market for IC Devices
Chapter 4: Advanced Single Chip IC Packaging
4.1 Overview of Advanced IC Packaging
4.2 Fan-Out Wafer Level Packages
4.3 Multi-Row QFN Packages
Chapter 5: Multichip Packaging Markets
5.1 Overview of Multichip Packaging Technology
5.1.1 Types of Multichip Packages
5.1.2 Benefits and Shortcoming of Stacked Packages
5.1.3 Multichip Packages Challenges and Solutions
5.1.4 Wafer Thinning - Dice Before Grinding Process
5.2 MCP Market Trends and Forecasts
5.3 Stacked Multichip Packaging Market Segments
5.3.1 Stacked TSOP Market Trends and Forecasts
5.3.2 Stacked QFN Packaging Market Trends and Forecasts
5.3.3 FBGA Packaging Market Trends and Forecasts
5.3.4 Stacked WLP Market Trends and Forecasts
Chapter 6: System-in-Package Solutions & Substrate Materials
6.1 System-in-Packaging Market Overview
6.1.1 Types of System-in-Packages
6.1.2 Key Features of System-in-Packages
6.1.3 System-in-Packages versus System-on-Chip Solutions
6.1.4 Challenges for System-in-Packages
6.2 System-in-Packages Market Trends and Forecasts
Chapter 7: Interconnection Technologies and Solutions
7.1 Interconnection Techniques Overview
7.2 Wire Bonding
7.2.1 The Benefit and Problem with Wire Bonding
7.2.2 Wire Bonding Methods
7.3 Tape Automated Bonding
7.4 Flip Chip
7.6 Panel Level Packaging
Chapter 8: Advanced IC Packaging Company Profiles
8.1 Chapter Overview
8.2 Changing Competitive Landscape
8.3 3D Plus, Inc.
8.4 Advanced Semiconductor Engineering, Inc.
8.5 Amkor Technology, Inc.
8.6 Carsem, Inc.
8.7 ChipMOS Technologies (Bermuda), Ltd.
8.8 CONNECTEC Japan Corporation
8.9 Deca Technologies
8.10 FlipChip International, LLC
8.11 HANA Micron Co., Ltd.
8.12 Interconnect Systems Inc. (ISI)
8.13 NANIUM, S.A.
8.15 Palomar Technologies
8.15 Powertech Technology, Inc.
8.17 Shinko Electric Industries Co, Ltd
8.18 Signetics Corporation
8.19 Siliconware Precision Industries Co.
8.20 SPEL Semiconductor, Ltd.
8.21 STATS ChipPAC, Ltd
8.22 United Test and Assembly Center, Ltd.
8.23 Xintec, Inc.
Glossary of Terms
List of Tables:
Chapter 3 Tables: Worldwide IC Packaging Overview
- Worldwide IC Packaging Unit Shipments by Market Segment
- Worldwide IC Packaging Annual Revenue by Market Segment
- Average IC Packaging Prices by Market Segment
- IC Units, Revenue & Price of various application markets, including: Cellular phones, Tablets, PCs, Set-Top Boxes, Digital Cameras and Camcorders, and GPS Devices
Chapter 4 Tables: Advanced Single Chip IC Packaging
- Wafer-Level Packages Unit Shipments by I/O Count
- Wafer-Level Packages Unit Shipments by Pitch
- Fan-Out WLPs by Units, Price, and Revenue
- Multi-Row QFNs by Units, Price, and Revenue
Chapter 5 Tables: Multichip Packaging Markets
- MCP Market by Unit Shipments, IC Shipments, and Revenue
- Total MCP Unit Shipments by Market Segment
- Total MCP Revenue by Market Segment
- Total Die in MCPs by Market Segment
- MCP Unit Shipments by Application
- MCP Units by Device Function
- MCP Units by Interconnection Method
- Stacked TSOP Market by Unit Shipments, Price, and Revenue
- Stacked FBGA Market by Unit Shipments, Price, and Revenue
- Stacked QFN Market by Unit
- Shipments, Price, and Revenue
- Stacked WLP Market by Unit
- Shipments, Price, and Revenue
Chapter 6 Tables: SiP Solutions and Substrate Materials
- System-in-package Market by Units, Price, Revenue, and Total ICs
- System-in-package Market Units, ICs, and Revenue by Market Segment
- Package-on-Packages by Units, Price, Revenue and Total ICs
- Package-in-Packages by Units,Price, Revenue and Total ICs
- Multichip Modules by Units, Price, Revenue and Total ICs
- Stacked WLPs Used in SiPs by Units, Price, and Revenue
- Total Substrate Package Units and Revenue by Type of Substrate
- Embedded Components in SiPs by Type of Device
Chapter 7 Tables: Interconnection Technologies and Solutions
- Wire Bonded Units by Device Type and I/O Count
- Flip Chip Package Units and Revenue by Packaging Type and I/O Coun
Chapter 4: Advanced Single Chip IC Packaging, provides an in-depth discussion of the two leading advanced packages: Fan-Out Wafer Level and Multi-Row QFN packages in terms of market overview, market trends and forecasts.
Chapter 5: Multichip Packaging Markets analyzes multichip packages from a number of points of view-their characteristics, applications, functions, and interconnection trends. This chapter then digs deeper into the stacked packages category, comprised of vertically stacked TSOPs, QFNs, FBGAs, and WLPs. Tables and figures provide market data and forecasts for unit shipments, revenues, prices, I/O-count and die usage.
Chapter 6: System-in-Package Solutions and Substrate Materials continues the data and forecast analysis of multichip packages, focusing on system-in-package (SiP) market segments, specifically package-on-packages, package-inpackages, multichip modules and a subgroup of stacked
WLPs used as components in SiPs. This chapter also examines the substrate materials and embedded components used in Si assembly. Forecasts include package units and material area shipped, as well as revenue impact of substrate material trends.
Chapter 7: Interconnection Technologies and Solutions, provides an in-depth explanation of wire bonding and flip chip markets, as well as leading-edge technologies, such as 2.5D and 3D packaging using through silicon vias (TSVs). Units and revenue forecasts are provided.
Chapter 8: Company Profiles leads off with an overview of recent competitor trends, specifically the recent surge in mergers and acquisitions. It then presents profiles of twenty advanced packaging companies from across the IC packaging spectrum, including large and small competitors from among OSATs and IDMs. Each profile gives a short company background and presents examples of their advanced packaging products.
- Advanced Semiconductor Engineering, Inc.
- Amkor Technology, Inc.
- Carsem, Inc.
- ChipMOS Technologies (Bermuda), Ltd.
- CONNECTEC Japan Corporation
- Deca Technologies
- FlipChip International, LLC
- HANA Micron Co., Ltd.
- Interconnect Systems Inc. (ISI)
- NANIUM, S.A.
- Palomar Technologies
- Powertech Technology, Inc.
- Shinko Electric Industries Co, Ltd
- Signetics Corporation
- Siliconware Precision Industries Co.
- SPEL Semiconductor, Ltd.
- STATS ChipPAC, Ltd
- United Test and Assembly Center, Ltd.
- Xintec, Inc.