In addition, strategic insights on growth opportunities for device manufacturers in the IoT market are included. A brief estimation of the future of the IoT hardware market, along with an analysis of the current market landscape, is furnished.
- Embedded systems suppliers are striving for market share in the burgeoning IoT market via several strategies. Service bundling from silicon to cloud offers customers a package for test and development and faster time to market. Ecosystem building and acquisitions are also key to market differentiation as vendors seek to fill solution gaps.
- The disparate requirements of IoT applications create a fertile environment for developers and for open source tools and solutions. The Linux Foundation’s Zephyr project, for example, proposes a modular, open source Real Time Operating System (RTOS) that developers can customise for multiple use cases.
- The ratification of the Narrowband-IoT (NB-IoT) LTE standard and the growing deployments of proprietary low-power WAN (LPWAN) alternatives will accelerate the market for devices and hardware. Communication module manufacturers and device OEMs now have a standardised option for LPWAN, rather than having to risk investment in multiple proprietary options. Convergence of Devices Market
Convergence of Devices Market:
- The growing requirement for IoT is driving consolidation within and across the hardware and software market for vendors to provide end-to-end IoT solutions.
- For example, major silicon vendors, such as Renesas and Intel, among others, provide cloud platforms for device management and analytics along with embedded system hardware, connectivity modules, and pre-loaded embedded operating systems as part of their IoT solutions.