Learn how to become an exceptional caregiver in today's evolving healthcare environment! Written by a dedicated team of expert authors led by Sharon Lewis, Medical-Surgical Nursing, 10th Edition offers up-to-date coverage of the latest trends, hot topics, and clinical developments in the field. Completely revised and updated content explores patient care in various clinical settings and focuses on key topics such as patient safety, NCLEX exam preparation, evidence-based practice, and teamwork. A variety of helpful boxes and tables make it easy for you to find essential information and the accessible writing style and building-block approach make even the most complex concepts easy to grasp. Best of all - a complete collection of learning and study resources helps you learn more effectively and offers valuable, real-world preparation for clinical practice.
Section One - Concepts in Nursing Practice
1. Professional Nursing Practice 2. Health Disparities and Culturally Competent Care 3. Health History and Physical Examination 4. Patient and Caregiver Teaching 5. Chronic Illness and Older Adults 6. Stress and Stress Management 7. Sleep and Sleep Disorders 8. Pain 9. Palliative Care at End of Life 10. Substance Use Disorders
Section Two - Pathophysiologic Mechanisms of Disease
11. Inflammation and Wound Healing 12. Genetics and Genomics 13. Altered Immune Responses and Transplantation 14. Infection and Human Immunodeficiency Virus Infection 15. Cancer 16. Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Imbalances
Section Three - Perioperative Care
17. Preoperative Care 18. Intraoperative Care 19. Postoperative Care Section Four - Problems Related to Altered Sensory Input
20. Assessment of Visual and Auditory Systems 21. Visual and Auditory Problems 22. Assessment of Integumentary System 23. Integumentary Problems 24. Burns
Section Five - Problems of Oxygenation: Ventilation
25. Assessment of Respiratory System 26. Upper Respiratory Problems 27. Lower Respiratory Problems 28. Obstructive Pulmonary Diseases
Section Six - Problems of Oxygenation: Transport
29. Assessment of Hematologic System 30. Hematologic Problems Section Seven - Problems of Oxygenation: Perfusion
31. Assessment of Cardiovascular System 32. Hypertension 33. Coronary Artery Disease and Acute Coronary Syndrome 34. Heart Failure 35. Dysrhythmias 36. Inflammatory and Structural Heart Disorders 37. Vascular Disorders
Section Eight - Problems of Ingestion, Digestion, Absorption, and Elimination
38. Assessment of Gastrointestinal System 39. Nutritional Problems 40. Obesity 41. Upper Gastrointestinal Problems 42. Lower Gastrointestinal Problems 43. Liver, Pancreas, and Biliary Tract Problems
Section Nine - Problems of Urinary Function
44. Assessment of Urinary System 45. Renal and Urologic Problems 46. Acute Kidney Injury and Chronic Kidney Disease
Section Ten - Problems Related to Regulatory and Reproductive Mechanisms
47. Assessment of Endocrine System 48. Diabetes Mellitus 49. Endocrine Problems 50. Assessment of Reproductive System 51. Breast Disorders 52. Sexually Transmitted Infections 53. Female Reproductive and Genital Problems 54. Male Reproductive and Genital Problems
Section Eleven - Problems Related to Movement and Coordination
55. Assessment of Nervous System 56. Acute Intracranial Problems 57. Stroke 58. Chronic Neurologic Problems 59. Dementia and Delirium 60. Spinal Cord and Peripheral Nerve Problems 61. Assessment of Musculoskeletal System 62. Musculoskeletal Trauma and Orthopedic Surgery 63. Musculoskeletal Problems 64. Arthritis and Connective Tissue Diseases
Section Twelve - Nursing Care in Specialized Settings
65. Critical Care 66. Shock, Sepsis, and Multiple Organ Dysfunction Syndrome 67. Acute Respiratory Failure and Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome 68. Emergency and Disaster Nursing
Appendix A - Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers Appendix B - Nursing Diagnoses Appendix C - Laboratory Reference Intervals
Bucher, Linda Professor, School of Nursing, University of Delaware, Newark, DE; Staff Nurse, Emergency Department, Virtua Memorial Hospital, Mt. Holly, NJ.
Heitkemper, Margaret M. Professor and Chairperson, Biobehavioral Nursing and Health Systems, Elizabeth Sterling Soule Endowed Chair in Nursing, School of Nursing; Adjunct Professor, Division of Gastroenterology, School of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA.
Harding, Mariann M. Associate Professor, Department of Nursing, Kent State University at Tuscarawas, New Philadelphia, Ohio.
Kwong, Jeffrey Program Director, Adult-Gerontology Nurse Practitioner Program; Program Director, HIV Sub-specialty; Columbia University School of Nursing, New York, New York.
Roberts, Dottie Instructor, University of South Carolina College of Nursing, Columbia, South Carolina.