The number of births in India rose very gradually up to 2013 but has since begun to decline slightly. Living standards are significantly higher in urban areas and this is where the bulk of industrially produced baby foods are sold. However there is a rising middle class even in smaller towns and rural areas and manufacturers are targeting these to widen the consumer base. Sales grew rapidly up to 2009 but slowed considerably in 2010 with slight declines in some sectors and growth has remained subdued since. Per capita intake levels rose by 13% in 2015. Milks dominate the market and have outperformed cereals in volume terms. The baby cereals sector remains overshadowed by the milks sector in value terms accounting for just 32.8% of market value in 2015 and 27.7% of volume.
- In value terms baby milk sales in India advanced strongly by 93.7% in nominal growth terms over the 2009-2015 period. The baby cereals sector achieved even more dynamic growth of 108%.
- The majority of sales are accounted for by milks which took a 72% volume share with baby cereals holding the remaining 28%.
- Two companies GCMMF and Nestlé India control the bulk of baby food sales in the Indian market with GCMMF accounting for 46% of volume in 2015 while Nestlé held a 42.2% share.
- The most important outlet for baby food is pharmacies and some suppliers only sell their baby food brands in this channel. Although many pharmacies are local independent stores organized retailing has grown rapidly in recent years.
“Baby Food in India” is an analytical report which provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the India market.
What else does this report offer?
- Consumption data based upon a unique combination of industry research fieldwork market sizing work and our in-house expertise to offer extensive data about the trends and dynamics affecting the industry.
- Detailed profile of the companies operating and new companies considering entry in the industry along with their key focus product sectors.
- Market profile of the various product sectors with the key features & developments segmentation per capita trends and the various manufacturers & brands.
- Overview of baby food retailing with a mention of the major retailers in the country along with the distribution channel.
- Future projections considering various trends which are likely to affect the industry.
Reasons To Buy:
- Evaluate important changes in consumer behaviour and identify profitable markets and areas for product innovation.
- Analyse current and forecast behaviour trends in each category to identify the best opportunities to exploit.
- Detailed understanding of consumption by individual product categories in order to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Investigates which categories are performing the best and how this is changing market dynamics.
Background to the Market
Key features & developments
Market value and volume
Other Baby Food
Production and trade
Gujarat Cooperative Milk Marketing Federation (GCMMF)
Nestlé India Ltd
Nutricia International Pvt Ltd
Raptakos Brett & Co Ltd
Baby food Retailing
Key macro-economic forecasts
Prospects and forecasts
Birth and population projections
Additional data tables
List of Tables
Table 1: Birth & Population Trends, 2005-2015
Table 2: Urban & Rural Birth Rates by State, 2000, 2012 & 2013
Table 3: Crude Birth Rates by State, 2000 & 2009–2013
Table 4: Live Births & Population Distribution by State, 2001 & 2013
Table 5: Number of Households by Income Groups, 2008/09 & 2009/10
Table 6: GDP Per Capita of Major Cities, 2015
Table 7: Urban & Rural Poverty Levels, 1993/94-2011/12
Table 8: Average Rural & Urban Monthly Per Capita Expenditure by Fractile, 2011/2012
Table 9: Urban & Rural Food Expenditure by State & Region, 2009-2010
Table 10: Per Capita Expenditure on Food, 2011-2012
Table 11: Use of Complementary Foods, by Age of Baby, 2011/12
Table 12: Working Women, 2006 & 2008
Table 13: Employment Status of Working Women, 2009/2010
Table 14: Breakdown of Female Employment by Industry Sector, 2011/2012
Table 15: Breastfeeding Prevalence by Age of Baby, 2005–2012
Table 16: Breastfeeding Habits by State & Age, 2007/2008 & 2012/2013
Table 17: Breastfeeding Duration, 2005–2012
Table 18: Cessation of Breastfeeding by Age of Baby, 2011
Table 19: Market Size, 2015, & Growth Rates, 2009–2015
Table 20: Baby Food: Manufacturer Shares, Value & Volume, %, 2009–2015
Table 21: Baby Food: Manufacturer Shares by Sector, %, 2015
Table 22: Projected Market Size, 2021, & Growth Rates, 2015–2021
Table 23: Baby Milks: Segmentation by Type, Volume, 2009–2015
Table 24: Baby Milks: Brand Price Positioning Analysis, 2016
Table 25: Baby Milks: Facings Allocation by Type of Packaging, 2014
Table 26: Baby Milks: Facings Allocation by Pack Size, 2014
Table 27: Baby Milks: Manufacturer Shares, Value & Volume, %, 2010–2015
Table 28: Specialized Baby Milks: Manufacturer Shares, Value & Volume, %, 2010–2015
Table 29: Non-Specialized Baby Milks: Manufacturer Shares, Value & Volume, %, 2010–2015
Table 30: Baby Cereals & Dry Meals: Segmentation by Type, 2009–2015
Table 31: Baby Cereals & Dry Meals: Segmentation by Price, 2016
Table 32: Baby Cereals & Dry Meals: Manufacturer Shares, Value & Volume, %, 2010–2015
Table 33: Milk-Based Cereals: Manufacturer Shares, 2010–2015
Table 34: Non-Milk Cereals: Manufacturer Shares, 2010–2015
Table 35: GCMMF: Financial Highlights, 2008/9-2014/15
Table 36: Nestlé India: Financial Highlights, 2009–2015
Table 37: Packaged Food Sales by Channel, Rs Billion, 2009–2015
Table 38: Economic Indicators, 2009–2016Table 39: Key Macro-Economic Forecasts, 2015–2021
Table 40: Birth & Population Projections, 2009-2021
Table 41: Baby Population, Number of Babies, 2005-2021
Table 42: Baby Food: Market Value, Current Prices, 2009-2015
Table 43: Baby Food: Market Value, Constant Prices, 2009-2015
Table 44: Baby Food: Market Value, US$, 2009–2015
Table 45: Baby Food: Market Volume, Tons, 2009–2015
Table 46: Baby Food: Per Capita Expenditure, Current Prices, 2009-2015
Table 47: Baby Food: Per Capita Expenditure, Constant Prices, 2009-2015
Table 48: Baby Food: Per Capita Expenditure, US$, 2009–2015
Table 49: Baby Food: Per Capita Consumption, Grams, 2009–2015
Table 50: Baby Milks: Sector Trends, 2009–2015
Table 51: Baby Milks: Segmentation by Type, 2009–2015
Table 52: Baby Milks: Brand Price Analysis, 2016
Table 53: Baby Cereals & Dry Meals: Sector Trends, 2009–2015
Table 54: Import Trends, Cereals & Milks, 2009–2014
Table 55: Imports of Cereals & Milks by Country of Origin, 2009–2014
Table 56: Imports of Baby Meals by Type, 2009–2014
Table 57: Imports of Baby Meals by Country of Origin, 2009–2014
Table 58: Export Trends, Cereals & Milks, 2009–2014
Table 59: Exports of Cereals & Milks by Country of Destination, 2009–2014
Table 60: Exports of Baby Meals Trends, 2009–2014
Table 61: Exports of Baby Meals by Country of Destination, 2009–2014
Table 62: Baby Food: Market Value Forecasts, Current Prices, 2015–2021
Table 63: Baby Food: Market Value Forecasts, Constant Prices, 2015–2021
Table 64: Baby Food: Market Value Forecasts, US$, 2015–2021
Table 65: Baby Food: Market Volume Forecasts, Tons, 2015–2021
Table 66: Baby Food: Per Capita Expenditure, Current Prices, 2015–2021
Table 67: Baby Food: Per Capita Expenditure, Constant Prices, 2015–2021
Table 68: Baby Food: Per Capita Expenditure, US$, 2015–2021
Table 69: Baby Food: Per Capita Consumption, Grams, 2015–2021
List of Figures
Figure 1: Baby Food: Market Size, 2009-2015
Figure 2: Baby Food: Market Segmentation, 2015
Figure 3: Baby Food: Per Capita, 2009-2015
Figure 4: Baby Food: Manufacturer Shares, Value, 2015
Figure 5: Baby Food: Manufacturer Shares by Sector, % value, 2015
Figure 6: Baby Milks: Sector Trends, 2009-2015
Figure 7: Baby Milks: Per Capita Expenditure & Consumption, 2009-2015
Figure 8: Baby Cereals & Dry Meals: Sector Trends, 2009-2015
Figure 9: Baby Cereals & Dry Meals: Per Capita Expenditure & Consumption, 2009-2015
Figure 10: Imports Baby Food by Country of Origin, Top Three Countries, %, 2014
Figure 11: Exports of Baby Food by Country of Destination, Top Four Countries, %, 2014
Figure 12: Baby Food: Manufacturer Shares, Value %, 2015
Figure 13: Baby Food: Manufacturer Shares, Volume %, 2015
Figure 14: Baby Food: Market Size, 2015-2021
Figure 15: Baby Food: Market Segmentation, 2021
Figure 16: Baby Food: Per Capita, 2015-2021
- Nestlé India Ltd
- Nutricia International Pvt Ltd
- Raptakos Brett & Co Ltd
- Abbott Nutrition
- Mead Johnson Nutrition (India) Pvt Ltd.