1. A brief discussion on optimization;
2. Formulation of optimization problems in chemical and biochemical engineering;
3. Single variable unconstrained optimization methods;
4. Trust-region methods;
5. Optimization of unconstrained multivariable functions;
6. Multivariable optimization with constraints;
7. Optimization of staged and discrete processes;
8. Some advanced topics in optimization;
9. Nontraditional optimization;
10. Optimization of various chemical and biochemical processes;
11. Statistical optimization;
12. Software tools for optimization processes; Multiple choice questions 1; Multiple choice questions 2; Multiple choice questions 3; Index.
Suman Dutta received his Ph.D. from Jadavpur University, Kolkata and has published a number of research papers in national and international journals. He was a visiting researcher at the Centre of Water Science in Cranfield University, UK. He teaches courses on chemical engineering thermodynamics, chemical reaction engineering, fluid mechanics, process modelling and optimisation and process instrumentation and control. His areas of research include wastewater treatment, membrane technology, advanced oxidation process, process simulation and optimisation.