One trend is increasing use of mobile devices to connect to the Internet, which leads to mobile shopping, or M-Commerce. The report cites a consumer survey reflecting that almost half of online shoppers around the world bought items on their smartphone or tablet in 2015.
In some countries in Africa, the vast majority of Internet connections are through mobile phones, so it naturally follows that as people turn to online shopping it will be over the phone. Even in regions with a tradition of high Internet connectivity via fixed computers such as Western Europe, mobile shopping is on the increase.
Another prevalent trend in online retail around the world is cross-border purchase. According to the publication, shoppers in some smaller nations such as Singapore and Ireland are leaders worldwide in cross-border online shopping. The percentage of global online retail purchased outside shoppers’ home country is expected to grow at double-digit rates through the next five years.
Top Trends In Global B2C E-Commerce Revealed:
As B2C E-Commerce continues to evolve around the world, several important market trends have emerged. These are the result of the continuous market development, technology advancement and growing interconnectedness of consumers worldwide.
Although global online shoppers differ in their preferences regarding which products to purchase, and which delivery and payment methods to choose, some market trends are shared by multiple emerging and advanced markets, as the new report reveals.
The persistent rise of M-Commerce is one example of an overarching trend. A global consumer survey cited in the report revealed that nearly half of online shoppers worldwide bought products via mobile platforms in 2015, a noticeable improvement on 2014. In the countries of East Asia the convenience of buying on-the-go drives M-Commerce sales up, such as in South Korea where they reached a medium-high double-digit percentage share of total online revenues.
In Africa, mobile is the most common Internet access type which likewise drives up mobile commerce on that continent. Furthermore, the use of mobile devices serves as a link between the online and offline sales channels, leading to the strengthening omnichannel trend.
Another prominent B2C E-Commerce trend in the increasingly interconnected world is cross-border shopping via the Internet. Online customers no longer limit their choice of online retailers to local websites and look at overseas offers in search for better prices and product availability. Online shoppers in smaller markets, such as Ireland, Austria and Singapore, were especially likely to buy from overseas retailers in late 2015, according to the findings of the report.
Some of the large advanced online retail markets, Japan, the USA and Germany among them, on the other hand, ranked among the countries with the lowest cross-border online shopper penetration rates, but with double-digit shares nonetheless. On the global scale, cross-border B2C E-Commerce sales are predicted to grow rapidly through 2020.
2. Global Developments
- B2C E-Commerce Sales of Products and Services Worldwide, excl. Travel and Event Tickets, in USD billion, and in % Share of Total Retail Sales, in 2014 - 2019f
- B2C E-Commerce Sales of Physical and Digital Goods Worldwide, in USD billion, 2014-2019f, and in % Share of Total Retail Sales, 2014 & 2019f
- Breakdown of Global B2C E-Commerce Sales, by Regions and Sub-Regions, in %, 2014 & 2019f
- B2C E-Commerce Share of Total Retail Sales, by Regions, in %, 2014 & 2019f
- Number of Internet Users, by Global Regions, in millions, and in % Change, 2010 & 2015
- Internet Penetration, by Regional and Global Medians, in % of Adults, May
- Top 10 Countries by B2C E-Commerce Sales, in USD billion, 2014 - 2019 and CAGR, in %, 2014 - 2019
- B2C E-Commerce Sales CAGR in the BRIC Countries, by Country, in %, 2009-2014 and 2014-2019f
- Top 10 Countries by B2C E-Commerce Market Attractiveness Index, and Index Composition, incl. Index for Online Market Size, Consumer Behavior, Growth Potential, Infrastructure and Total Score for Online Market Attractiveness, 2015
- Top 10 Developing Economies in B2C E-Commerce Index, incl. Global Rank, 2016, Share of Individuals Using Internet, 2014, Share of Individuals with Credit Card, 2014, Secure Internet Servers per 1 million People, 2014, UPU Postal Reliability Score and UNCTAD B2C E-Commerce Index Value, 2015
- Top 10 Countries by Number of Online Shoppers, in millions, incl. Penetration, in % of Internet Users and in % of Population, 2014
- Top 5 Countries by Share of Global Online Shoppers, in %, 2019f, and Their Shares in 2015
- Top 5 Countries by Share of Active* Online Shoppers, in % of Population, Q4 2015
- Product Categories Most Purchased Online, by Generation, in % of Online Shoppers, November 2015
- Top Factors Driving Online Purchase and In-Store Purchase, in % of Consumers, November 2015
- Major Reasons for Shopping Cart Abandonment, in % of Online Shoppers, by Selected Regions, October
- Most Important Delivery Options in Online Shopping, in % of Online Shoppers, Q1 2015 & Q4 2014
- Share of Online Shoppers Willing to Pay More for Faster Shipping, by Selected Countries, in %, Q1 2015 & Q4 2014
- Payment Methods Used in Online Shopping, in % of Online Shoppers, 2015
- Share of Online Shoppers Paying with Cash on Delivery, in %, by Selected Emerging Markets,
- Share of Consumers Who Are Satisfied with the Payment Methods Used, by POS, Browser and Mobile, in % of Consumers in Selected Developed Countries, June
- Breakdown of Mobile Phone Ownership, by Smartphone, Other Mobile Phone and No Mobile Phone, in % of Adults, by Regional and Global Medians, May
- Share of Online Shoppers Buying Products via Mobile, in %, 2014 & 2015
- Breakdown of M-Commerce Transactions, by Mobile Browser and App, in %, Q4 2015
- Actions Conducted on Mobile Phones While Being in-Store, incl. “Compare Prices”, in % of Mobile Phone Users,
- Cross-Border B2C E-Commerce Sales, in USD billion and in % of Total B2C E-Commerce Sales, 2014 – 2020f
- Breakdown of Cross-Border E-Commerce Sales, by Regions, in %, 2025f
- Cross-Border Online Shopper Penetration, by Selected Countries, in % of Online Shoppers, Oct. 2015
- Share of Online Shoppers Who are Concerned that Their Personal Information Could be Stolen, in %, 2014
- Social Media Activities Influencing Online Shopping Behavior, in % of Online Shoppers, September 2015
- Share of Online Shoppers Visiting Social Media Sites for Inspiration when Searching for Products, by Age Groups, in %, August 2015
- Share of Online Shoppers Who Would Consider Purchasing from Marketplaces and from Retailers’ Websites, by Global Average and Top 3 Countries, in %, August 2015
- Top 20 B2C E-Commerce Retailers, by B2C E-Commerce Sales, incl. Rank among Top Online Retailers, Rank among Top Retailers, Company Name, Country of Origin, Retail E-Commerce Sales, in USD million, Share of Total Retail Revenues, in %, Growth Rate, in %, 2014, and CAGR, 2009-
3.1. Advanced Markets
- Mobile Shopper Penetration, in % of Smartphone Users, August
- Cross-Border B2C E-Commerce Imports from the USA and China, in JPY billion, 2014 - 2018f
3.1.2. South Korea
- M-Commerce Sales, in KRW trillion and in % of Total E-Commerce Sales, Q1 2013 – Q1
- Cross-Border E-Commerce Imports, in USD billion, 2013 &
- M-Commerce Sales, in AUD billion, 2014e & 2019f
- Cross-Border Online Shopper Penetration and Number, in % of Individuals and in millions, 12 Months to September
3.2. Emerging Markets
- M-Commerce Sales, in CNY billion and in % of Retail E-Commerce Sales, by Comparative Estimates, 2013 - 2018f
- Number of Mobile Shoppers, in millions and in % of Mobile Internet Users, 2012 – 2014 & June
- Usage of Digital Devices and Social Media Before, During and After Purchase, in % of Urban Consumers, February
- M-Commerce Share of Total E-Commerce Sales, in %, 2014e & 2017f
- Breakdown of Online Shopping Transactions, by Device, in %, H2 2014 & 2015e
- Reasons to Purchase Online from a Foreign Country, in % of Cross-Border Online Shoppers, April
- Devices Used to Access the Internet, in % of Internet Users,
- Types of Platforms Used for Online Shopping, incl. “Social Network”, in % of Internet Users,
- Mobile Shopping App Penetration, in % of Smartphone App Users, Q1 2014 & Q1
- Channels Used to Research Information about Products before Purchase, in % of Mobile Shoppers, January 2015
4.1. Advanced Markets
- Usage of Click-and-Collect Services, in % of Online Shoppers, 2012 & 2015
- M-Commerce Sales, by Device and Total, in GBP billion, in % Year-on-Year Change and in % Share of Total, 2014 - 2019f
- Breakdown of Frequency of Webrooming and Showrooming, in % of Online Shoppers, August 2015
- Mobile Shopper Penetration, in % of Smartphone Users, by Age Group and Gender, 2013 - 2015
- M-Commerce Sales, in EUR billion, and in % Share of Total B2C E-Commerce Sales, 2015
- Research and Purchase Methods, by Digitally and In-Store, in % of Online Shoppers, September
- Value of E-Commerce Import Transactions, in EUR million, by Transactions with the EU, the USA, Latin America, Asia-Pacific, CEMEA, Rest of the World and Total, 2009 - 2014 & H1
- Devices Used for Online Shopping, in % of Online Shoppers, 2014 & 2015
- M-Commerce Share of Total E-Commerce Sales, in %, 2014 & 2017f
- Cross-Border B2C E-Commerce Imports, in EUR billion, and in %Year-on-Year Change, 2012 – 2015e
4.2. Emerging Markets
- Smartphone User Penetration and Mobile Shopper Penetration, in % of Online Shoppers, by Age Group and Total, October
- Cross-Border E-Commerce Statistics, incl. Number of Orders by Location and Platform, Number of Parcels and Average Check, 2013 & 2014
- M-Commerce Sales, in PLN billion, 2014 & 2015e
- Cross-Border Online Shopper Penetration, in % of Online Shoppers, 2014
- M-Commerce Share of Total B2C E-Commerce Sales, in %, Q1 2015
- Product Categories Researched via Social Media Prior to Purchase, in % of Social Media Users,
5. North America
- M-Commerce Sales, by Smartphones and Tablets, in USD billion, 2015f - 2020f
- Research and Purchase Methods Used, in % of Online Shoppers, January
- M-Commerce Share of Total B2C E-Commerce Sales, in %, 2014 & 2019f
- Breakdown of Online Spending, by Country of Origin of the Seller, in %, July
6. Latin America
- M-Commerce Share of Total E-Commerce Transactions, in %, 2015 & 2016f
- Share of Online Shoppers Purchasing via Mobile Devices, by Smartphone and Tablet, in % of Online Shoppers Owing Smartphone or Tablet, October
- Cross-Border Online Shopper Penetration, in % of Online Shoppers, October 2015
- Shopping-Related Activities Carried Out on Mobile Devices, in % of Mobile Device Users, Q1
- M-Commerce Share of Total E-Commerce Traffic, in %,
- Product Categories Purchased Cross-Border, in % of Cross-Border Online Shoppers, 2015e
- Devices Used to Access the Internet, in % of Internet Users, 2013 & 2014
- Shopping-Related Activities Carried Out on Mobile Devices, in % of Smartphone Users,
7. Middle East & Africa
7.1. South Africa
- Shopping-Related Activities Carried out via Mobile Internet, in % of Mobile Internet Users, August 2015
- Share of Online Shoppers Who Check a Retailer's Flyer Online to Ensure They Get the Best Deal Prior to Purchasing, in %, October 2015
- M-Commerce Share of B2C E-Commerce Sales, in %, 2013 & 2015
- Breakdown of the Last Online Purchase, by Website Type, in % of Online Shoppers, April
7.3. Saudi Arabia
- Social Media Platforms Influencing Purchasing Decisions, in % of Consumers,
- Breakdown of Internet Traffic, by Device, in %, 2015
- Number of Internet Subscriptions by Type, in millions, February 2015 & February 2016
- Mobile Share of Online Purchases, in %, 2015e
- Apple Inc.
- Best Buy Co. Inc.
- Casino Guichard-Perrachon S.A.
- Costco Wholesale
- Home Retail Group
- John Lewis Partnership Plc
- Liberty Interactive Corp.
- Lojas Americanas S.A./B2W Companhia Digital
- Macy’s Inc.
- Newegg Inc.
- Otto GmbH & Co. KG
- Sears Holdings Corp.
- Suning Commerce Group Co. Ltd.
- Tesco PLC
- The Home Depot
- Vipshop Holdings Limited
- Wal-Mart Stores Inc.
- Zalando AG