Synthetic biology is an emerging area of biological research which combines both science and engineering. According to this research report, the global synthetic biology market size was between $12.80 billion to $13.86 billion in 2020, and the market demand is projected to grow at a phenomenal CAGR of 36% to 38% during the forecast period of 2020 to 2025. North America is identified as the key region, chunking out 41% to 43% of the total demand in 2020 and poised to maintain its dominance. Factors such as increasing investment to harness possibilities with new synthetic biology technologies such as gene synthesis, genome engineering, cloning, sequencing, and nanotechnology, growing R&D funding, and collaborations are driving the growth of the synthetic biology market in this region.
Synthetic Biology Market Outlook
Analyst of the report says that, bio medicine and health care application is dominating among other diverse applications such as industrial, and environmental; it is estimated to grow with an exuberant CAGR of 40% to 42% during the forecast period 2020-2025. According to International Diabetes Federation, in North America, 45.9 million adults aged 20-29 years were living with diabetes in 2020, representing a regional frequency of 13%, among all IDF regions. Synthetic biology offering a platform for the future medicines, where cells can fight with diseases such as diabetes and cancer; which is propelling the abundant demand for the synthetic biology market during the forecast period of 2020 to 2025.
Synthetic Biology Market Growth Drivers
- As world population is increasing day by day, conversely, the need for food is also increasing and the cultivation land is decreasing owing to industrialization. Using synthetic biology techniques, farmers can yield more crops in low cultivation land due to their properties such as more efficient plant use of water and nutrients, photosynthetic performance, nitrogen fixation and better resistance to pests are developed using synthetic biology.
- Artemisinin is an antimalarial medicine which will be now produced from yeast using synthetic biology; avoiding the need to isolate it from Chinese sweet wormwood plant. This will help to stabilize global medicine prices and increases and the demand for synthetic biology market in the medical sector.
- Globally, cancer is the second leading cause of death which is responsible for an estimated 9.6 million deaths in 2020. According to World Health Organization, about 1 in 6 deaths are due to cancer. Advancement in genome engineering such as CRISPR and DNA synthesis technologies will reduce the risks from cancer and driving the growth of the synthetic biology market.
Synthetic Biology Market Challenges
- The construction and testing process of biological systems is complicated and irregular; which became the major challenge for the growth of the market. However, to solve this problem, Ginkgo Biological Studio developed an automation system which can combine the gene components together.
- The misuse of synthetic biology or possibilities of accidental release of pathogens into free atmosphere is another key challenge for the market. But, rising demand for bio-fuels, and investments on synthetic drugs and vaccines would further offer profitable growth chances in the market.
- In order to create larger functional architecture by synthetic biology, device modularization and standardization become a necessity. However, the non-linear and uncertain nature of systems biology makes standardization of parts as a non-trivial task which in turn propels the growth of the market.
Synthetic Biology Market Key Players Perspective
In 2020, Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc., a leading global life sciences company has licensed its Clustered Regularly Interspaced Short Palindromic Repeats (CRISPR) technologies from the Board Institute and ERS Genomics University of California to enhance its genome editing intellectual property (IP) portfolio. Helge Bastian, vice president and general manager of synthetic biology at Thermo Fisher says that, the reason behind this enhancement is to further unravel the function of DNA elements and genes in the development of new drugs and cell therapies.
Some of the other players mentioned in this report are GenScript, Integrated DNA Technologies, Inc., OriGene Technologies, Inc., ATUM, Synthetic Genomics, Inc., Pareto Biotechnologies, Inc., and Blue Heron Biotech, LLC,
Synthetic Biology Market Trends
- Biomonitoring is another exciting area for synthetic biology developments. Highly specific, tiny biosensors can be engineered to spot an enormous range of molecules such as hydrocarbon pollutants, sugars, heavy metals, and antibiotics in environmental sensing systems.
- Synthetic biology also used in agricultural applications to provide more precision and sophistication than earlier gene technologies. This helps to increase crop and livestock yields, while reducing environmental impact by limiting the use of chemicals and fertilizers.
- OPX Biotechnologies (OPXBIO) is developing renewable bio-based acrylic to match petro-acrylic performance and cost but with a 75 percent reduction in greenhouse gas emissions. Bio Acrylic from OPXBIO also will reduce oil-dependence and offer more stable prices.
Synthetic Biology Market Research Scope
The base year of the study is 2020, with forecast done up to 2025. The study presents a thorough analysis of the competitive landscape, taking into account the market shares of the leading companies. It also provides information on unit shipments. These provide the key market participants with the necessary business intelligence and help them understand the future of the synthetic biology market. The assessment includes the forecast, an overview of the competitive structure, the market shares of the competitors, as well as the market trends, market demands, market drivers, market challenges, and product analysis. The market drivers and restraints have been assessed to fathom their impact over the forecast period. This report further identifies the key opportunities for growth while also detailing the key challenges and possible threats. The key areas of focus include the types of synthetic biology market, and their specific applications in different types of vehicles.
Synthetic Biology Market Report Industry Coverage
- Types of Tools in Synthetic Biology: Xeno-Nucleic Acid, Chassis Organisms, Oligonucleotides, Cloning Technology Kits, and Enzymes
- Applications of Synthetic Biology: Environmental, Medical, and Industrial
- Technologies of Synthetic Biology: DNA Synthesis, DNA Sequencing, and Computational Modelling
The Synthetic Biology market report also analyzes the major geographic regions for the market as well as the major countries for the market in these regions.
The regions and countries covered in the study include:
- North America: The U.S., Canada, Mexico
- South America: Brazil, Venezuela, Argentina, Ecuador, Peru, Colombia, Costa Rica
- Europe: The U.K., Germany, Italy, France, The Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Denmark
- APAC: China, Japan, Australia, South Korea, India, Taiwan, Malaysia, Hong Kong
- Middle East and Africa: Israel, South Africa, Saudi Arabia
Please Note: The report is to be delivered in 1-2 working days after an order is placed.
2. Executive Summary
3. Synthetic Biology Market Landscape
3.1. Market Share Analysis
3.2. Comparative Analysis
3.2.1. Product Benchmarking
3.2.2. End User profiling
3.2.3. Patent Analysis
3.2.3. Top 5 Financials Analysis
4. Synthetic Biology Market Forces
4.1. Market Drivers
4.2. Market Constraints
4.3. Market Challenges
4.4. Synthetic Biology Industry
4.4.1. Power of Suppliers
4.4.2. Power of Customers
4.4.3. Threat of New entrants
4.4.4. Threat of Substitution
4.4.5. Degree of Competition
5. Synthetic Biology Market – Strategic Analysis
5.1. Synthetic Biology Market - Value Chain Analysis
5.2. Pricing Analysis
5.3. Product/Market Life Cycle Analysis
5.4. Suppliers and Distributors
5.5. Opportunities Analysis.
6. Synthetic Biology Market – By Tools
6.2. Xeno-Nucleic Acid
6.3. Chassis Organism
6.5. Cloning Technology Kits
6.7. Synthetic DNA
6.8. Synthetic Genes
6.9. Synthetic Cells
7. Synthetic Biology Market – By Technology
7.2. DNA Synthesis
7.3. DNA Sequencing
7.4. Computational Modelling
7.5. Bioinformatics Technology
7.6. Microfluidics Technology
7.8. Pathway Engineering
7.9. Modular Protein Assembly
7.10. Synthetic Microbial Consortia
7.11. Genome Engineering
7.12. Integrated System
8. Synthetic Biology Market – By Application
8.2. Environmental Application
8.2.1. Whole-Cell Biosensors
8.3. Medical Application
8.3.1. Drug Discovery and Therapeutics
18.104.22.168. Gene Circuits
22.214.171.124. Delivery Platform
126.96.36.199. Cancer Detection/Diagnostic
8.3.3. Artificial Tissue and Regeneration
188.8.131.52. Scaffold Synthesis
184.108.40.206. Stem Cell Regulation
220.127.116.11. Cell Programming
8.4. Industrial Application
8.4.1. Biofuel and Renewable Energy
8.4.2. Industrial Enzyme
18.104.22.168. Textile Industry
22.214.171.124.4. Alpha Amylase
126.96.36.199. Food & Beverages
188.8.131.52.1. Fungal alpha Amylase
184.108.40.206.3. Papain enzymes
220.127.116.11.4. Beta glucanse
18.104.22.168. Paper Industry
22.214.171.124. Personal Care
8.4.3. Biomaterials & Green Chemicals
126.96.36.199. Lactic Acid
188.8.131.52. Succinic Acid
184.108.40.206. Acrylic Acid
220.127.116.11. 1, 3 Propanediol
18.104.22.168. Adipic Acid
22.214.171.124. Castor-based Chemicals
9. Synthetic Biology Market - By Geography
9.1. North America
9.1.3. Ecuador Mexico
9.1.4. Rest of North America
9.2. South America
9.2.7. Costa Rica
9.2.8. Rest of South America
9.3.9. Rest of Europe
9.4.3. South Korea
9.4.7. Hong Kong
9.4.9. Rest of APAC
9.5. Middle East& Africa
9.5.2. South Africa
9.5.3. Saudi Arabia
9.6. Rest of Middle East and Africa
10. Market Entropy
10.1. New Product Launches
10.2. M&As, Collaborations, JVs, Partnership
11. Company Profiles (Overview, Financials, SWOT Analysis, Developments, Product Portfolio)
11.1. Ingenza Ltd.
11.2. Intrexon Corp.
11.3. Amyris Inc.
11.4. Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
11.6. Cargill Inc.
*More than 9 Companies are profiled in this Research Report*
12.3. Research Methodology
12.5. Compilation of Expert Insights