Tracking the development and launch of hundreds of new ingredients each year and identifying ingredient launches in the early stages of development to provide a glimpse into how the market will evolve and show which new opportunities are being pursued by ingredients companies, and how.
The research paper has identified five health trends in bakery and cereals:
- Sugar backlash: As the sugar backlash continues, manufacturers of sweet baked goods and breakfast cereals are under increasing pressure to reduce sugar and calories without resorting to artificial sweeteners. The challenge is to ensure taste and texture is unaffected.
- Weight management: The perceived association of carbs with weight gain brings significant challenges to a carb-heavy sector, as consumers are increasingly seeking options to help them reduce or maintain their weight. Calorie reduction is just one approach that manufacturers should consider to align with consumers' weight management goals.
- High protein: As the high protein trend shows no signs of slowing, the bakery and cereals sector is under pressure to introduce higher-protein, lower-carb options. The source of protein is becoming more important, with consumers preferring plant sources, such as pea, soy, or oat, rather than dairy-based options.
- Heart health: High salt consumption is linked to increased risk of heart disease and stroke. With bread and cereals cited as among the biggest contributors of salt in the diet, due to the frequency with which they are consumed,1 the pressure is on to reduce salt and create more heart-healthy offerings.
- High fiber: With Marks and Spencer stopping selling white bread without added fiber across its UK stores from early 20162; other retailers and manufacturers will be under pressure to follow suit. This creates opportunities for fiber ingredient manufacturers to capitalize on, as producers seek to boost the fiber content of white and refined bakery products.
2. Sugar Backlash: Magou-V
3. Weight Management: ActiStar RM resistant starch
4. High Protein: Mankai Protein
5. Heart Health: Scelta Taste Accelerator
6. High Fiber: DS-RStar80
7. Innovation Opportunities