The baby food sales in Hungary were hit by a decline in the number of births and a poor economy but an upturn in birth numbers in 2014 which continued into 2015 coupled with a more buoyant economy has encouraged sales over the last two years. Hungary has very favorable conditions promoting childbirth including generous maternity benefits and the right for mothers or fathers to take time off work up to the third birthday of their child. Hungary was hard hit by the recession in 2008/2009. A substantial 6.7% downturn in real GDP ensued in 2009 with unemployment rising to 10%. Some improvement was seen in 2013 as GDP grew by 1.9%. However 2014 and 2015 have seen a significant improvement: in 2014 GDP rose by 3.7% and in 2015 by a further 2.9%. Growth in 2015 was driven by an increase in private consumption and by a good performance in exports.
- Demand for baby food has held up comparatively well in Hungary with volume sales increasing by 9.2% between 2009 and 2015 although much of the growth has come in the last two years boosted by higher numbers of births.
- The wet meals sector is well developed and in volume terms accounts for well over half of the baby food market (57.4% in 2015). Milks account for a further 26.2% and cereals an underdeveloped sector in Hungary for just 4.8%.
- Cereals wet meals and drinks are now largely sold in food outlets (an estimated 72% of sales) and drugstores (25% of sales).
- The Hungarian baby food market is largely in the hands of three multinationals. Together Danone Hipp and Nestlé accounted for 63% of value in 2015.
“Baby Food in Hungary” is an analytical report by Canadean which provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the Hungary market.
What else does this report offer?
- Consumption data based upon a unique combination of industry research fieldwork market sizing work and our in-house expertise to offer extensive data about the trends and dynamics affecting the industry.
- Detailed profile of the companies operating and new companies considering entry in the industry along with their key focus product sectors.
- Market profile of the various product sectors with the key features & developments segmentation per capita trends and the various manufacturers & brands.
- Overview of baby food retailing with a mention of the major retailers in the country along with the distribution channel.
- Future projections considering various trends which are likely to affect the industry.
Reasons To Buy:
- Evaluate important changes in consumer behavior and identify profitable markets and areas for product innovation.
- Analyse current and forecast behavior trends in each category to identify the best opportunities to exploit.
- Detailed understanding of consumption by individual product categories in order to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Investigates which categories are performing the best and how this is changing market dynamics.
Background to the Market
Birth and Population Trends
Births by Region
Breastfeeding Trends - Prevalence
Key features & developments
Market value and volume
Production and trade
Numil Hungary Kft
Hipp Verkaufsbüro Budapest
Nestlé Hungária Kft
Universe Product Zrt
Baby food Retailing
Key macro-economic forecasts
Prospects and forecasts
Birth and Population Projections
Additional data tables
List of Tables
Table 1: Birth & Population Trends, 2005-2015
Table 2: Births by Region, 2009-2014
Table 3: Average Income By Wealth Decile, 2010-2014
Table 4: Risk of Poverty by Household Type 2010-2014
Table 5: Average Income By Region, 2010-2014
Table 6: Marriage & Divorce Trends, 2008-2014
Table 7: Breakdown of Live Births by Age of Mothers, 2009 & 2014
Table 8: Number of Women of Childbearing Age by Age Group, 2011 & 2014
Table 9: Women in Employment, 2009-2015
Table 10: Breastfeeding Trends By Age, 2000-2013
Table 11: Breastfeeding Trends at 12 Months, 2005-2013
Table 12: Market Size, 2015, & Growth Rates, 2009-2015
Table 13: Manufacturer Share Trends, %, 2009-2015
Table 14: Baby Food: Manufacturer Shares by Sector, %, 2015
Table 15: Projected Market Size, 2021, & Growth Rates, 2015-2021
Table 16: Baby Milks: Segmentation by Type, 2009-2015
Table 17: Baby Milks: Brand Price Positioning Analysis, 2016
Table 18: Baby Milks: Facings by Pack Size, 2015
Table 19: Baby Milks: Manufacturer Shares, Value & Volume, %, 2009-2015
Table 20: Baby Cereals: Facings by Pack Size, 2015
Table 21: Baby Cereals & Dry Meals: Manufacturer Shares, Value & Volume, %, 2009-2015
Table 22: Baby Meals: Segmentation by Volume, %, 2009-2015
Table 23: Baby Meals: Facings by Pack Type, 2015
Table 24: Baby Meals: Facings by Pack Size, 2015
Table 25: Baby Meals: Manufacturer Shares, 2009-2015
Table 26: Baby Juices: Facings by Pack Type, 2015
Table 27: Baby Juices: Facings by Pack Size, 2015
Table 28: Baby Drinks: Manufacturer Shares, 2009-2015
Table 29: Packaged Food Sales by Channel, Ft Billion, 2009-2015
Table 30: Sales by Outlet Type: All Baby Food, 2009-2015
Table 31: Sales by Type of Baby Food & Outlet, 2015
Table 32: Economic Indicators, 2009-2016
Table 33: Key Macro-Economic Forecasts, 2015-2021
Table 34: Birth & Population Projections, 2009-2021
Table 35: Baby Population, Number of Babies, 2009-2021
Table 36: Baby Food: Market Value, Current Prices, 2009-2015
Table 37: Baby Food: Market Value, Constant Prices, 2009-2015
Table 38: Baby Food: Market Value, US$ Million, 2009-2015
Table 39: Baby Food: Market Volume, Tons, 2009-2015
Table 40: Baby Food: Per Capita Expenditure, Current Prices, 2009-2015
Table 41: Baby Food: Per Capita Expenditure, Constant Prices, 2009-2015
Table 42: Baby Food: Per Capita Expenditure, US$, 2009-2015
Table 43: Baby Food: Per Capita Consumption, Grams, 2009-2015
Table 44: Baby Milks: Sector Trends, 2009-2015
Table 45: Baby Milks: Market Segmentation, 2009-2015
Table 46: Baby Milks: Brand Price Analysis, 2016
Table 47: Baby Cereals & Dry Meals: Sector Trends, 2009-2015
Table 48: Baby Meals: Sector Trends, 2009-2015
Table 49: Baby Drinks: Sector Trends, 2009-2015
Table 50: Imports of Baby Food by Sector, Volume, 2009-2014
Table 51: Imports of Baby Food by Sector, Value, 2009-2014
Table 52: Imports by Country of Origin, Volume, 2012-2014
Table 53: Imports by Country of Origin, Value, 2012-2014
Table 54: Exports of Baby Food by Sector, Volume, 2008-2014
Table 55: Exports of Baby Food by Sector, Value, 2008-2014
Table 56: Exports by Country of Destination, Volume, 2012-2014
Table 57: Exports by Country of Destination, Value, 2012-2014
Table 58: Baby Food: Market Value Forecasts, Current Prices, 2015-2021
Table 59: Baby Food: Market Value Forecasts, Constant Prices, 2015-2021
Table 60: Baby Food: Market Value Forecasts, US$ Million, 2015-2021
Table 61: Baby Food: Market Volume Forecasts, Tons, 2015-2021
Table 62: Baby Food: Per Capita Expenditure, Current Prices, 2015-2021
Table 63: Baby Food: Per Capita Expenditure, Constant Prices, 2015-2021
Table 64: Baby Food: Per Capita Expenditure, US$, 2015-2021
Table 65: Baby Food: Per Capita Consumption, Grams, 2015-2021
Table 66: Facings Allocation by Product Type
List of Figures
Figure 1: Baby Food: Market Size, 2009-2015
Figure 2: Baby Food: Market Segmentation, 2015
Figure 3: Baby Food: Per Capita, 2009-2015
Figure 4: Baby Food: Manufacturer Shares, % Value, 2015
Figure 5: Baby Food: Manufacturer Shares by Sector, % value, 2015
Figure 6: Baby Milks: Sector Trends, 2009-2015
Figure 7: Baby Milks: Per Capita Expenditure & Consumption, 2009-2015
Figure 8: Baby Cereals & Dry Meals: Sector Trends, 2009-2015
Figure 9: Baby Cereals & Dry Meals: Per Capita Expenditure & Consumption, 2009-2015
Figure 10: Baby Meals: Sector Trends, 2009-2015
Figure 11: Baby Meals: Per Capita Expenditure & Consumption, 2009-2015
Figure 12: Baby Drinks : Sector Trends, 2009-2015
Figure 13: Baby Drinks : Per Capita Expenditure & Consumption, 2009-2015
Figure 14: Milks & Cereals: Country of Origin, Top Four, % Volume, 2014
Figure 15: Milk & Cereals : Country of Destination, Top Four, % Volume, 2014
Figure 16: Baby Food: Manufacturer Shares, Value %, 2015
Figure 17: Baby Food: Manufacturer Shares, Volume %, 2015
Figure 18: Baby Food: Market Size, 2015-2021
Figure 19: Baby Food: Market Segmentation, 2021
Figure 20: Baby Food: Per Capita Consumption, 2015-2021