- New third edition, revised and expanded with new articles on terrorist and fighting groups of the 21st century, including ISIS, al-Qaeda, the Taliban, Lashkar-e-Toiba, Tehrik I Taliban, Hezbollah, FARC, Hamas, and Boko Haram, to name a few.
- Clearly written entries in an easy-to-use A-Z arrangement.
- Illustrations and cross-references enhance entries.
- An expanded Historical Timeline of entries allows the reader to see how groups connect with one another.
- Suggested Readings & Primary Documents offer sources for additional research.
- Full color maps, arranged by time period, allows the reader a visual connection to the groups.
- Comprehensive Bibliography & Subject Index.
- Available in print and ebook formats.
With over 150 entries, this encyclopedia offers the most current, most comprehensive overview of skilled military populations, soldiers who dominated the military forces of their time, famous and noteworthy units, and elite forces from the ancient times to the present. A valuable resource for readers seeking insight into the bold history of both distinguished and infamous fighting forces, this edition will be useful in history reference collections, university libraries, and public libraries.