State of Residential Security and Smart Home in Europe - 2016 Edition provides an overview of the residential security market in Europe. It also presents issues that challenge the many companies seeking a piece of the European marketplace for security systems and adjacent smart home products and services. In sum, it provides a working knowledge of today’s residential security services, smart home products designed for peace of mind, and industry players. The report profiles the householders who have adopted security.
Scope of Report:
This report is for the European marketplace only and addresses the private housing marketplace, including multi-family and single family dwellings. Some references are made to the U.S. home security and smart home products market, as developments in these markets may inform future developments in Europe. This report emphasizes monitored and non-monitored security systems. Smart home components and controllers are addressed as adjacencies and drivers to security system acquisition. Forecasts and analysis of specific single-category smart home devices and systems are addressed in other category reports.
This report provides a sizing of the European residential security market. IT includes topline EU forecasts for security systems and professional and fee-based self-monitoring for security systems. It also includes information from interviews and surveys of traditional security providers. Finally, highlights for companies that are effecting change in the residential security industry are included with an emphasis on initiatives that indicate trends and strategic direction.
Key Questions Addressed:
Both tactical and strategic questions confront companies active in this marketplace. Providers, security component manufacturers, and smart home device companies ponder today and tomorrow’s marketplace as well as assess how to expand the Western European marketplace from its historical low adoption rate of monitored and non-monitored alarms.
Questions addressed in this report:
- What is the overall market penetration for professional residential security services? What is the average fee per month?
- What are the most common business models and how do they get applied in Europe, in comparison to the U.S. market?
- What are the profiles of the key players in the market? What initiatives are core players executing to strengthen and expand the marketplace?
- To what extent have residential security companies adopted smart home and interactive technologies?
- What are the roles of non-security service providers (e.g., utilities and broadband providers) and insurance companies in providing security and peace of mind solutions?
- What key challenges must be addressed by the industry as a whole?
- What new entrants are expected?
- What initiatives are currently in play to address challenges and maintain the vitality of the professional home security market?
1.0 Report Summary
1.1 Purpose of Report
1.2 Scope of Report
1.3 Research Approach/Sources
2.0 Security and Smart Home Market Landscape
2.1 Residential Security Channels in Europe and the U.S.
2.2 Smart Home Products as Substitutes for Classical Security
3.0 Profiles of Major Players in the EU Residential Security Market
3.1 Residential Specialists: Verisure, Prosegur, Sector Alarm
3.2 Independent Dealer-based Security Providers
4.0 Digital Disruptors Offer Smart Home Products as Substitutes for Security
5.0 Smart Home Products and Services in Selected European Markets
6.0 Professionally Installed Residential Alarm Panels: Market Sizing
7.0 Conclusions and Implications
List of Figures:
Example of Smart Home Devices for Home
Sector Alarm Profile
ADT UK Profile
Allianz Global Assistance Profile
EPS Telesurveillance Profile
Smart Home Product Adoption in Four EU Nations
Adoption of Leading Smart Home Product Types in Four EU Nations
Professional Monitoring Fees in EU Nations
Recurring Fees for Home Services in Western Europe
Penetration and Recurring Fees of Home Services in Europe
Residential Alarm Panels: EU vs. U.S. Market Sizing