Easter is a time for family and jobs around the house with consumers eliciting strong feelings when it comes to how they spend the Easter seasonal period. Consumers egg on sales of sweet things with Hot cross buns and Easter eggs dominating non-gift food and drink purchases. Discounters are edging away at the big four grocers who had the strongest level of growth. It is clear that the discounters' message resonated with consumers over Easter this year and the big four must make astute moves to maintain a grip on Easter in future years.
- While consumers feel more positive about their own financial position compared to last year, this has not translated directly into increased Easter spending across the board.
- Convenience was the impost important store driver for those purchasing Easter food and drink this year cited by 51.5% of shoppers, ahead of low prices (44.9%).
- The majority of purchases made this Easter were planned purchases with 65.8% of gifting purchases being planned on average.
- With the exception of beauty and personal care, the grocers led retailer usage in all gift categories.
- Purchaser penetration for seasonal non-food at 54.2% was largely made up of young, affluent consumers.
- This market was largely made of planned purchases with seasonal clothing exhibit the highest degree of impulse purchases at 49.7% of purchases.
The Easter Retail Occasion Report series offers a comprehensive insight into the different aspects of the Easter retail period including consumer attitudes, food and drink, gift buying and the seasonal non-food market in the UK. The report also analyses the market, the major players and the main trends.
It provides in-depth analysis of the following:
- Key Findings
- Visual analysis
- Consumer attitudes
- Food and drink
- Seasonal non-food
Reasons To Buy
- Utilise the detailed data and insight on the market to help form an effective growth strategy across the Easter retail occasion
- Identify the opportunities to grow business in the Easter retail occasion by understanding what drives store selection and how consumers shop for gifts in this market.
- Learn how consumers will boost spend in the sector, and how retailers should respond.
- Understand the opportunities in the market by learning how consumers shop for non-seasonal food.