Understanding the different characteristics and new dynamics of the individual European domestic markets by country is essential. This European Payment Cards Yearbook edition provides a historical context for the current state of the marketplaces while looking forward to see opportunities for growth, modern payment initiatives and new business trends.
The annual European Payment Cards Yearbook reports the differences in issuance, acceptance and use of different payment methods at the ATM, at POS and on the internet across the European nations. Further, key performance indicators and notable market trends by country have been added.
The reports are recognised throughout the payments industry as the most authoritative source of strategic information on the European and Eurasian card markets. They are based on in-depth primary research, conducted throughout 2016, with card issuers, acquirers and network organisations across the regions.
The core of the European Payment Cards Yearbook is the series of profiles of the card markets of the European countries by country, which include information and data on the following subjects:
- Key statistics
- The banking sector - size and ownership
- Recent M&A activity
- International expansion
- Market infrastructure
- Market size and dynamics
- Cards in issue and card usage
- Debit, delayed debit/charge and credit cards
- Major card issuers
- Cards in comparison to other cashless payments
- Mobile payments initiatives
- E-commerce statistics
In addition to the country profiles, the Yearbook includes regional statistics:
- Regional overview, covering banking trends, bank ownership, investment by banks, cross-border investment by banks, other private investment, multilateral banks and agencies, and European growth prospects.
- Payment cards overview, including cards issued, number of payments per country, expenditure on cards by country and a variety of per capita figures.
- Acquisition and acceptance, a section reviewing POS and ATM statistics.
New for 2016-17:
- Updated - The presence of international card schemes in Europe
- Card fraud in Europe and by individual country
- Remote payments on the internet - Cards & More, leading PSPs
- Updated - B2C e-commerce value by individual country
- Updated - Online-payment mix by individual country
- Updated - Mobile payments overview by county
- Updated - Mobile payment Initiatives by individual country
- List of the major issuers by country with the card brands issued
- List of the major acquirers by country with the card brands accepted
- Highlighting the new trends in the payment industry by individual country:
- e.g. contactless, HCE NFC, SIM SE NFC, QR-codes, BLE, MPOS terminals and tablets,
- e.g. display cards, contactless ATMs, biometric authentication,
- e.g. digital wallets, mobile in-app payments, mobile in-store payments
Reasons to buy the European Payment Card Statistical Yearbook:
- You will receive a comprehensive statistical and analytical publication covering the whole of the European region
- Analysis of the latest card business and payment trends, incl. European overview
- 33 individual country reports plus a pan-regional section with cross-country statistics
- 516 statistical tables providing data for the 5 years up to and including 2015
- Year-on-year and 5 year compound annual growth rates
- Country KPI’s - cards per capita, payments value per card, ATV per ATM/POS transaction
- A broad banking sector overview of each country with details of key banks, including internet and mobile banking initiatives
- Market Infrastructure section for each country covering: card processing, acquiring, ATM and POS terminals, e-money, card and internet payments, mobile payment initiatives and a list of the major acquirers and their accepted card brands
- Market Size and Dynamics section for each country giving cards issued and card use, key performance indicators together with a full description of card issuers, the breakdown of cashless payments and a list of the major issuers and their issued brands
- An appendix which describes the history of the market and significant events such as M&A, regulation issues and EMV
- Insight regarding new trends in the payment industries, e. g. contactless, NFC, QR-codes, MPOS terminals, display cards, contactless ATMs.
- Background - European Legal Framework for Issuers
- Background - SEPA Payment Instruments SCT and SDD
- Background - SEPA End-Date Regulation for domestic Payments
- Background - new PSD2 Regulation and Interchange Fee Regulation (IFR)
- Affordable and annually updated, the yearbook is an ongoing essential office tool for all financial industry executives, card managers, acquirers, processors, e-money institutions, payment service providers, business development managers and market intelligence departments.
- Ideal for specific in-depth projects and broad regional insight.
Each country report comprises the following sections:
- Payments overview
- Banking structure
- Market Infrastructure
- Market Dynamics
- Cash-less Payments.
- Prepaid cards
- Debit cards
- Charge cards
- Credit cards.
- Cards brands issued
- Contactless cards
- Issuer processors
- Major issuers
- Card numbers
- Card Use
- POS Payments
- ATM withdrawals.
- Merchant processors
- Major acquirers
- Detailed acquirer table
- ATM networks
- POS terminals
- POS networks.
- Remote card Payments
- Advanced payments
- Mobile payments
- M-payment initiatives.