Creating a Physician Market Pulse Index:
- The goal is to provide a quick snapshot of whether the Physician market is expanding, contracting or remaining flat.
- Short descriptive index of three key figures affecting supply spending from the quarterly market pulse survey: Patient Volumes, Medical Supply Spend, Medical Equipment Spend.
- Survey respondents are asked to describe if patient volumes were up, down or flat, whether medical supply spend was up, down or flat, and whether medical equipment spend was up, down or flat. Responses are then translated into scores: +100 if up/yes (expansion), 0 if flat, and -100 if down/no (contraction)
- Scores for each measures are weighted by the % of influence they have on medical supply spending.
- Physician market remains in moderate expansion mode with the index at 29.9, statistically flat from Q2 to Q3.
- All regions show moderate expansion in-line with national trends, with the exception of the Southcentral and Southwest regions, which show only slight expansion.
- In Q3, physician offices with a staff of 6 or more physicians saw significant gains over Q2. These gains were driven largely by increases in medical supply purchasing and patient volume increases.