Egypt has a small market for baby food despite having the largest population in the Middle East. The Egyptian population is continuing to grow rapidly rising by 19.7% since 2005. The overall baby population in 2015 was 29.9% higher than in 2009. Sales were affected to some extent by the political and social upheavals in 2011 to 2013 but nonetheless consumption rose by 33.6% in 2015. In value terms sales in 2015 are 143% higher than in 2009 but high inflation levels mean that this equates to a lower 39% at constant prices. The economic situation in 2016 remains difficult. From 2017 however real GDP growth is expected to increase by 3-4% per annum providing there are no further major disruptions. The market for baby food is consequently forecast to grow consistently over the next six years by a total of 11.4% in volume terms.
- Over the past six years as a whole the baby food market in Egypt has grown appreciably with consumption increasing by 33.6% in 2015.
- Baby milks dominate the market accounting for 78% of value sales and 66% of volume sales. Meals and other baby food (principally drinks) constitute the second largest sector 17% of volume and 12% of value.
- The role of multinationals in the supply of baby food in Egypt is dominant with the leading three companies Danone Nestlé and Hero accounting for 81% of value sales in 2015.
- Supermarkets currently account for 46% of volume sales. Despite the rise of supermarket retailing pharmacies remain the main distributor of baby food taking a 54% share of volume sales in 2015.
“Baby Food in Egypt” is an analytical report which provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the Egypt market.
What else does this report offer?
- Consumption data based upon a unique combination of industry research fieldwork market sizing work and our in-house expertise to offer extensive data about the trends and dynamics affecting the industry.
- Detailed profile of the companies operating and new companies considering entry in the industry along with their key focus product sectors.
- Market profile of the various product sectors with the key features and developments segmentation per capita trends and the various manufacturers and brands.
- Overview of baby food retailing with a mention of the major retailers in the country along with the distribution channel.
- Future projections considering various trends which are likely to affect the industry.
Reasons To Buy
- Evaluate important changes in consumer behavior and identify profitable markets and areas for product innovation.
- Analyze current and forecast behavior trends in each category to identify the best opportunities to exploit.
- Detailed understanding of consumption by individual product categories in order to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Investigates which categories are performing the best and how this is changing market dynamics.
- Executive summary
2. Background to the Market
- Birth and population trends
- Birth Rates by Region
- The consumer
- Socio-Demographic Trends
- Working Women
- Breastfeeding Trends
3. Market Overview
- Market Overview
- Manufacturer shares
- The future
4. Sector Analysis
- Baby milks
- Baby cereals
- Baby meals & others
5. Production and trade
6. Company profiles
- Nestlé Egypt SAE
- Hero Middles East and Africa
- Other suppliers
- Retail structure
- Baby Food Retailing
8. Economic background
- Economic background
- Key macro-economic forecasts
9. Prospects and forecasts
- Birth and population projections
- Forecast overview
- Future trends
List of Tables
Table 1: Birth & Population Trends, 2005-2015
Table 2: Births & Birth Rates by Region, 2012
Table 3: Incidence of Poverty, 2008/09-2012/13
Table 4: Population by Socio-Economic Groups, 2009
Table 5: Marriage and Divorce Trends, 2011-2015
Table 6: Number of Women of Childbearing Age by Age Group, 2005 & 2015
Table 7: Trends in Working Women, 2009-2014
Table 8: Breastfeeding by Age of Baby, 2005-2014
Table 9: Average Duration of Breastfeeding, 2005 & 2008
Table 10: Consumption of Infant Formula, 2005 & 2008
Table 11: Market Size, 2015, & Growth Rates, 2009-2015
Table 12: Baby Food: Manufacturer Shares, Value & Volume, %, 2009-2015
Table 13: Baby Food: Manufacturer Shares by Sector, %, 2015
Table 14: Projected Market Size, 2021, & Growth Rates, 2015-2021
Table 15: Baby Milks: Sector Segmentation, % Volume, 2009-2015
Table 16: Baby Milks: Brand Price Positioning Analysis, 2016
Table 17: Baby Milks: Manufacturer Shares, %, 2009-2015
Table 18: Baby Cereals: Facings by Pack Size, 2016
Table 19: Baby Cereals & Dry Meals: Manufacturer Shares, %, 2009-2015
Table 20: Baby Meals & Others : Sector Segmentation, Volume & Value, 2009-2015
Table 21: Baby Meals & Others : Manufacturer Shares, Value & Volume, %, 2009-2015
Table 22: Packaged Food Sales by Channel, E£ Million, 2009-2015
Table 23: Baby Food: Sales by Outlet Type, % Volume, 2009-2015
Table 24: Economic Indicators, 2009-2016
Table 25: Key Macroeconomic Forecasts 2015-2021
Table 26: Birth & Population Projections, 2009-2021
Table 27: Baby Population, Number of Babies (’000), 2005-2021
Table 28: Baby Food: Market Value, Current Prices, 2009-2015
Table 29: Baby Food: Market Value, Constant Prices, 2009-2015
Table 30: Baby Food: Market Value, US$ Million, 2009-2015
Table 31: Baby Food: Market Volume, Tons, 2009-2015
Table 32: Baby Food: Per Capita Expenditure, Current Prices, 2009-2015
Table 33: Baby Food: Per Capita Expenditure, Constant Prices, 2009-2015
Table 34: Baby Food: Per Capita Expenditure, US Dollars, 2009-2015
Table 35: Baby Food: Per Capita Consumption, Grams, 2009-2015
Table 36: Baby Milks: Sector Trends, 2009-2015
Table 37: Baby Milks: Segmentation, by Stage, Volume, 2009-2015
Table 38: Baby Milks: Segmentation, by Stage, Value, 2009-2015
Table 39: Baby Milks: Brand Price Analysis, 2016
Table 40: Baby Cereals & Dry Meals: Sector Trends, 2009-2015
Table 41: Meals & Others : Sector Trends, 2009-2015
Table 42: Baby Food: Imports by Sector, Tons, 2009-2014
Table 43: Baby Food: Imports by Sector, US$ '000, 2009-2014
Table 44: Exports of Baby Food by Sector & by Country of Destination, Volume, 2013 & 2014
Table 45: Exports of Baby Food by Sector & by Country of Destination, Value, 2013 & 2014
Table 46: Baby Food: Market Value Forecasts, Current Prices, 2015-2021
Table 47: Baby Food: Market Value Forecasts, Constant Prices, 2015-2021
Table 48: Baby Food: Market Value Forecasts, US Dollar Million, 2015-2021
Table 49: Baby Food: Market Volume Forecasts, Tons, 2015-2021
Table 50: Baby Food: Per Capita Expenditure, Current Prices, 2015-2021
Table 51: Baby Food: Per Capita Expenditure, Constant Prices, 2015-2021
Table 52: Baby Food: Per Capita Expenditure, US Dollars, 2015-2021
Table 53: Baby Food: Per Capita Consumption, Grams, 2015-2021
Table 54: Baby Food: Facings Allocation by Product Type
List of Figures
Figure 1: Baby Food: Market Size, 2009-2015
Figure 2: Baby Food: Market Segmentation, 2015
Figure 3: Baby Food: Per Capita, 2009-2015
Figure 4: Baby Food: Manufacturer Shares, Value %, 2015
Figure 5: Baby Food: Manufacturer Shares by Sector, % Value, 2015
Figure 6: Baby Milks: Sector Trends, 2009-2015
Figure 7: Baby Milks: Per Capita Expenditure & Consumption, 2009-2015
Figure 8: Baby Cereals & Dry Meals: Sector Trends, 2009-2015
Figure 9: Baby Cereals & Dry Meals: Per Capita Expenditure & Consumption, 2009-2015
Figure 10: Baby Meals & Others: Sector Trends, 2009-2015
Figure 11: Baby Meals & Others: Per Capita Expenditure & Consumption, 2009-2015
Figure 12: Milks & Cereals: Country of Origin, Top Five, % Volume, 2014
Figure 13: Milks & Cereals: Country of Destination, Top Four, % Volume, 2014
Figure 14: Baby Food: Manufacturer Shares, Value %, 2015
Figure 15: Baby Food: Manufacturer Shares, Volume %, 2015
Figure 16: Baby Food: Market Size, 2015-2021
Figure 17: Baby Food: Market Segmentation, 2021
Figure 18: Baby Food: Per Capita, 2015-2021