The online platforms that offer the goods of third-party retailers have become the major movers of global E-Commerce. According to the report, about half of online shoppers do most of their online purchases through marketplaces, as they find them convenient for discovering new sellers and new products anywhere in the world.
Retailers also find marketplaces convenient to establish an online presence. Some online retailers sell through their own Internet store as well as through one or more of the marketplace platforms, such as those operated by Amazon, eBay and Alibaba. The report indicates that just a small percentage of online retailers do not sell through a marketplace, though the intense competition results in limited growth for retailers that rely heavily on online marketplace sales.
Key Questions Answered
- How large is the share of online shoppers buying from marketplaces compared to retailers’ websites?
- What are the key factors driving the dominance of E-Commerce marketplaces in online shopping?
- How significant is the reliance of online merchants on marketplaces?
- What are some of the world’s largest E-Commerce marketplaces by GMV?
- Which value-added services are offered by the top three E-Commerce marketplaces?
1. Management Summary
2. E-Commerce Marketplace Trends
- Overview of E-Commerce Marketplace Trends, November 2016
- Share of Online Shoppers Who Would Consider Purchasing from Marketplaces and from Retailers’ Websites, by Global Average and Top 3 Countries, in %, August 2015
- Approximate Share of Online Shoppers Who State That All or Most of Their Total Online Spending is Made on Marketplaces, in %, August 2016
- Top 5 Countries by Share of Online Shoppers Who State That All or Most of Their Cross-Border Online Spending is Made on Marketplaces, in %, August 2016
- Most Popular Ways to Browse Products Online, incl. Marketplaces, in % of Online Shoppers, August 2016
- Perceived Benefits of Buying from Marketplaces, in % of Online Marketplace Shoppers, April 2016
- Most Important Factors When Purchasing from a Marketplace, in % of Online Marketplace Shoppers, April 2016
- Share of Online Retailers in Major E-Commerce Markets Who Generate More Than 41% of Their E-Commerce Revenue via Online Marketplaces, in %, July 2016
3.Major E-Commerce Marketplaces
- Top 10 E-Commerce Marketplace Websites, by Website Rank Among All E-Commerce Websites, incl. Website Visits, in millions, Average Visit Duration, in minutes, Bounce Rate, in %, and Top 5 Countries by Share of Visits, in %, November 2016
- Overview of Selected Major E-Commerce Marketplace Companies, incl. B2C/C2C Marketplaces, Country Based in, and GMV, in USD billion, 2015
- Profile of Alibaba’s Retail Marketplaces, November 2016
- GMV of Alibaba’s Retail Marketplaces in China, in CNY billion, and Mobile Share of GMV, in %, Q1 2015 – Q2 2016
- Profile of Amazon Marketplace, November 2016
- Share of Units Sold by Third-Party Sellers on Amazon, in % of Total Paid Units Sold on Amazon, Q2 2015 – Q3 2016
- Other Platforms Used by Amazon Marketplace Sellers, in % of Sellers, by Currently Use and Plan to Use, 2015
- Profile of eBay Marketplace, November 2016
- GMV of eBay Marketplace, in USD billion, and Transaction Take Rate, in %, 2013 - 2015