Objectives of the Presentation:
Attendees will gain a high level understanding of ERISA issues, as they relate to retirement and group health plans. This high level understanding will acquaint attendees with ERISA requirements and federal agency activity with respect to employee benefits.
Why Should you Attend:
Non-employee benefit lawyers, employers and HR professionals must be familiar with ERISA so that they may spot certain compliance issues related to their clients’ or their own employee benefit plans.
- Overall summary of ERISA and what it governs
- Plans subject to ERISA
- Requirements for plans governed by ERISA
- Fiduciary responsibilities under ERISA
- Enforcement of plans governed by ERISA
- Hot Audit Topics for ERISA plans
The Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974, as amended (ERISA) is a federal law that establishes minimum standards for employee benefit plans in private industry and provides for extensive rules on the federal income tax effects of transactions associated with employee benefit plans.
Jennifer S. Kiesewetter,
ERISA, ACA & Exec Comp Attorney, Owner ,
Kiesewetter Law Firm, PLLC
Jennifer Kiesewetter is a seasoned attorney in the field of employee benefits, encompassing qualified and nonqualified employee benefit plans, welfare benefit plans, and executive compensation plans.
Ms. Kiesewetter's practice includes regulatory compliance and governance with the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 ("ERISA"), the Internal Revenue Code and the Affordable Care Act ("ACA"), in addition to the other federal laws governing employee benefits and health care compliance regulatory law. She also represents plan sponsors and employers in ERISA litigation actions.
She is an Adjunct Professor of Employee Benefits at University of Memphis Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law. She is also a member of the American, Mississippi, and Memphis Bar Associations, and the Association for Women Attorneys. Additionally, Ms. Kiesewetter is a frequent writer and speaker on the topic of employee benefits and health care compliance regulatory law, both locally, regionally and nationally.
Distinctions for Jennifer Kiesewetter:
- U.S. News & World Report - Best Lawyers 2016 "Best Law Firms" KLF has received a metropolitan tier 2 ranking designation in the practice areas of employee benefits (ERISA) law and litigation (ERISA)
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Litigation - ERISA, 2013-2016
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law, 2015-2016
- Adjunct Professor, University of Memphis Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law, Employee Benefits, 2009-2013, 2015 - present
- Member, Leadership Memphis, Executive Class, 2013
- Mentor, Memphis Institute for Leadership Education (MILE), 2010-2011
- Kindle Award Recipient, 2011
- "Women to Watch," Memphis Minority Business Magazine
- Human Resources Professionals
- In-house counsel
- Non-employee benefit attorneys (such as general corporate counsel, employment and labor counsel, tax counsel)