Overview of the Current Pharmaceutical Contract Manufacturing Industry
Companies in the upstream industry are undergoing restructuring so as to focus more on R & D, while stringent regulations on the pharmaceutical industry are compelling the companies to outsource manufacturing of drugs to contract manufacturers and focus on their core business processes. Pharmaceutical companies are increasingly relying on contract manufacturing, research, and packaging services, to fulfill their basic needs and specialized competencies.
The market for global pharmaceutical contract manufacturing by type has been broadly segmented into â€“
- Active pharmaceutical ingredient (API) manufacturing
- Finished Dosage Formulation (FDF) development & manufacturing (sub-segmented further into solid dose formulation, liquid dose formulation & injectable dose formulation)
- Secondary market
By dose formulation type, solid dose formulation constituted more than 40% of the overall pharmaceutical contract manufacturing market in the year 2014, attributing to lower costs of manufacturing, patent compliance and ease of maintenance. The segment is expected to grow at a CAGR of 3.66% over the forecast period, while injectable dose segment, will register highest CAGR of 12.37% over the next five years.
The global pharmaceutical contract manufacturing market has been geographically segmented into North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, Latin America, Middle East and Africa.
In 2014, the United States was a major market for contract pharmaceutical manufacturing. India is estimated to be the fastest growing market owing to its cost competitiveness and quality manufacturing capabilities.
Factors driving the Pharmaceutical Market-
- Growing innovative drugs
- Increasing investments in R & D
- Pharmaceutical companies opting for less number of vendors to avail the volume advantage and at the same time reduce logistics costs.
- Need for minimizing costs and reducing the product development time, without compromising on efficiency or production capability.
Restraints of the Pharmaceutical Market-
Some of the key impediments hindering the growth of the market are â€“
- In-house packaging
- Capacity utilization issues affecting the profitability of contract manufacturing organizations (CMOs)
- Increasing lead time & logistics costs
Opportunities of the Pharmaceutical Market-
Huge demand for next-generation biological therapies has opened a gateway of opportunities for pharmaceutical vendors/manufacturers across the globe.
Some of the major companies mentioned in the report are -
- Haupt Pharma
- Pfizer Central Source
Key Deliverables in the Study
- Market analysis for the global pharmaceutical contract manufacturing market, with region specific assessments and competition analysis on global and regional scales.
- Market definition along with the identification of key drivers and restraints.
- Identification of factors instrumental in changing the market scenario, rising prospective opportunities, and identification of key companies that can influence this market on a global and regional scale.
- Extensively researched competitive landscape section with profiles of major companies along with their market share.
- Identification and analysis of the macro and micro factors that affect the global pharmaceutical contract manufacturing market on both global and regional scale.
- A comprehensive list of key market players along with the analysis of their current strategic interests and key financial information.
- A wide-ranging knowledge and insight about the major players in this industry and the key strategies adopted by them to sustain and grow in the studied market.
- Insights into the major countries/regions where this industry is growing and also identify the regions that are still untapped.
Please note: As this product is updated at the time of order, dispatch will be 72 hours from the date the order and full payment is received.
1.1 Study Deliverables
1.2 Key Findings of the Study
1.3 Market Defnition
2. Research Methodology
3. Executive Summary
4. Market Dynamics
4.1 Current Market Trends
4.2.1 Growing Innovative drugs
4.2.2 Increasing Investments in R&D
4.3.1 In-house packaging
4.3.2 Capacity Utilization Issues Affecting the Profitability of CMOs
4.3.3 Increasing Lead Time & Logistics Costs
4.4 Maret Opportunities
4.4.1 Huge Demand for Next Generation Bilogical Surgeries
4.5 Porters Five Force Analysis
4.5.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.5.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.5.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.5.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.5.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. Global Pharma CMO Market Segmentation
5.1 By Liquid/Injectable
5.2 By Semi-Solid Dosage
5.3 By Gaseous Dosage
5.4 By Dosage Forms by USP
5.4.1 Oral Drugs
5.4.4 Inhaled Drugs
5.4.5 Mucosal Drugs
5.5 By Region
5.5.1 North America
184.108.40.206 Rest Of North America
220.127.116.11 Rest of Europe
18.104.22.168 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.5.4 Latin America
22.214.171.124 Rest of Latin America
5.5.5 Middle East and Africa
126.96.36.199 Saudi Arabia
188.8.131.52 South Africa
184.108.40.206 Rest of Middle East and Africa
6. Vendor Market Share Analysis
6.1 Pharmaceutical CMO Vendor Market Share
6.2 API Outsourcing Vendor Market Share (Top 10 Market Players)
7. Competitive Intelligence - Company Profiles
7.6 Boehringer Ingelheim
7.7 Pfizer CentreSource
7.8 Aenova (Haupt)
7.10 Baxter Bio Pharma Solutions
8. Investment Analysis
8.1 Recent Mergers & Acquisitions
8.2 Investment Scenario and Opportunities
9. Future of Pharmaceutical Contract Manufacturing Market