The global GaN semiconductor devices market estimated at USD 163.21 million in 2015 is projected to reach USD 1172.44million by 2020, at a projected CAGR of 48.34%, over the forecast period. This technology shall revolutionize the semiconductors industry owing to its compatibility with the development of high-power and high-frequency devices.
GaN semiconductor devices find applications in LED's and magnetic semiconductors due to their low heat dissipation, even at high power. Their higher band gap allows for applications in optoelectronics and solar cells. Owing to their efficiency in managing high-frequency transmission, they are used in combat vehicles, wartime communication devices, and space technology.
The drivers of the market include an increased focus on automation around the world, growth of new industries (like virtual reality, wireless charging) where GaN semiconductors are believed to be better than its traditional silicon counterpart; rapid proliferation of wireless devices around the world in creating a need for smaller, lower power semiconductor devices, and an inclination towards renewable energy forms like solar and wind energy. Also, GaN semiconductors are cheaper to manufacture and package as compared to Si semiconductors. The market is restrained by troubles with manufacturing, as GaN dust is an irritant to human eyes, skin, and lungs. This increases the cost of protective gear used in the manufacturing units. The industry also faces stiff competition from SiC-based semiconductors, which are more compatible with present day Si-based technology.
The market segment by technology indicates that GaN on Si is the most preferred way of manufacturing owing to less quantity of GaN required on top of a Si plate. By devices, MOSFET is the most widely adapted technology, but HMET is catching up fast. The market is further segmented by industry and geography. The USA and South Korea are the biggest markets for GaN semiconductor devices in the world, as per present reports. Japan, Taiwan, and China are seen as emerging markets, with growth expected from India in the future.
Key Market Players
Notable companies in the GaN semiconductors industry mentioned in the report are:
- Texas Instruments
- Aixtron SE
- Fujitsu Ltd.
- International Rectifier Corporation
- GaN Systems Incorporated
- RF Micro Devices Corporation
- ROHM Company Limited
- Efficient Power Conservation Corporation
- Freescale Semiconductor Corporation
- Cree Incorporated
- Nichia Corporation
Key Deliverables in the Study
- Market analysis for the global GaN semiconductor devices market, with region specific assessments and competition analysis on global and regional scales.
- Market definition along with the identification of key drivers and restraints.
- Identification of factors instrumental in changing the market scenarios, rising prospective opportunities, and identification of key companies that can influence this market on a global and regional scale.
- Extensively researched competitive landscape section with profiles of major companies along with their market.
- Identification and analysis of the macro and micro factors that affect the global GaN semiconductors devices market on both global and regional scales.
- A comprehensive list of key market players along with the analysis of their current strategic interests and key financial information.
- A wide-ranging knowledge and insights into the major players in this industry and the key strategies adopted by them to sustain and grow in the studied market.
- Insights into the major countries/regions in which this industry is growing and identifying the regions which are still untapped.
Please note: As this product is updated at the time of order, dispatch will be 72 hours from the date the order and full payment is received.
1.1 Market Definition
1.2 Market Scope
2.1 Market Size and Forecast
2.2 Industry Value-Chain Analysis
3. Market Dynamics
3.1.1 Growth of New Industries (Virtual Reality, Wireless Charging etc.)
3.1.2 Increased Focus on Automation
3.1.3 High-Cost and Heat Dissipation of Alternative ( GaAs)
3.1.4 Wireless Systems Industry Requiring Smaller, Lower Power Devices
3.1.5 Cheaper to Manafacture and Pack than Silicon
3.1.6 Increasing Push towards Renewable Energy Forms (Solar Energy etc.)
3.2.1 Competetion from SIC, it being More Compatible with Present Day Silicon Circuits
3.2.2 GaN Dust is an Irritant to Skin, Eyes and Lungs
3.3.1 Application in Virtual Reality and Moton Sensor Gaming Industries
3.4 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces of Analysis
3.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
3.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
3.4.3 Threat from New Entrants
3.4.4 Threat from Substitute Products
3.4.5 Competitive Rivalry within the Industry
4. Market Dynamics
4.1 Market Segmentation
4.2 By Technology
4.2.1 GaN with SiC
4.2.2 GaN on sapphire
4.2.3 GaN on Si
4.2.4 GaN on AlN
4.3 By Device
4.3.4 Diodes and Rectifiers
4.4 By Industry
4.4.1 Consumer Electronics
126.96.36.199 LED Lighting
188.8.131.52 Power Supply Modules
184.108.40.206 DVD Players
4.4.2 Military and Aerospace
220.127.116.11 Wireless Warfare Communication
18.104.22.168 Ships, Aeroplanes and Other Combat Vehicles
22.214.171.124 Hybrid Electric Vehicles
126.96.36.199 New Railway Lines
4.4.4 Industrial and Power
188.8.131.52 Solar Cells
184.108.40.206 PFC Systems
220.127.116.11 Wind Turbines
4.4.5 Medical Sector
4.4.6 Integrated Circuits
18.104.22.168 Processors and Controllers
4.5 By Geography
4.5.1 North America
22.214.171.124 South Korea
4.5.4 Latin America
4.5.5 Africa and Middle East
5. Vendor Market Share
6. Competitive analysis - Company Profiles
6.1 Company Profiles
6.3 Texas Instruments
6.4 AIXTRON SE
6.5 Fujitsu Ltd
6.6 International Rectifier Corporation
6.7 GaN Systems Incorporated
6.8 RF Micro Devices Corporation
6.9 ROHM Company Limited
6.10 Efficient Power Conservation Corporation
6.11 Freescale Semiconductor Corporation
6.12 Cree Incorporated
6.13 Nichia Corporation
7. Future of Global GaN Semiconductor devices
7.1 Overall Market Shares (Current)
7.2 Future Predictions