This report analyses the impact of Brexit and other key trends on the U.K. FMCG retail market, highlights key channels and retailers that will shape the future, and provides a point of view on the capabilities needed to win in this dynamic environment.
Shock arrived on the back of the U.K.’s historic vote to leave the European Union. This shock resulted in a ‘Black Friday’ effect on:
- The political environment: The sudden resignation of former Prime Minister David Cameron triggered a leadership struggle among the Conservative and Labour parties.
- Financial markets: The value of the British pound plummeted following the vote, and stock markets searched for direction.
The FMCG retail industry is not likely to escape the Brexit storm, with a number of variables at play.
This report analyses the impact of Brexit and other key trends on the U.K. FMCG retail market. It also highlights key channels and profiles seven retailers that will shape the future: Tesco, Sainsbury's, Asda, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi, and Amazon U.K. Finally, it provides a point of view on the capabilities needed to win in a market that is witnessing seismic shifts in nearly all elements of retailing."
1. Executive Summary
2. The Brexit Impact
- British Retailers
- European Union Retailers
- Non-European, Non-British Retailers
- Brexit: Next Steps for Retailers
3. Key Trends Shaping the UK Retail Landscape
- Format Reinvention
- Move Towards Hybrid (or EDLP+) Pricing
- Range Reviews and Assortment Rationalisation
- Offer Premiumisation
4. Key Grocery Channels
- Hypermarkets and Supermarkets Work to Stem the Decline
- Discounters Continue Forward March
- The Online Disruption
5. Retailers: Movers and Shakers
- Asda (Walmart UK)