Discover a wellness-based, holistic approach to older adult care. Ebersole & Hess' Gerontological Nursing and Healthy Aging, 5th Edition is the only gerontological nursing text on the market that focuses on this thoughtful, organic method of care. Designed to facilitate healthy aging regardless of the situation or disease process, this text goes beyond simply tracking recommended treatments to addressing complications, alleviating discomfort, and helping older adults lead healthy lives. Featuring an updated four-color design, additional information on long-term care, evidence-based practice boxes, safety alerts, expanded tables, and careful attention to age, gender, and cultural differences, Ebersole & Hess' Gerontological Nursing and Healthy Aging is the most complete text on the market.
Section 1: Foundations of Healthy Aging
1. Introduction to Healthy Aging 2. Cross-Cultural Caring and Aging 3. Biological Theories of Aging and Age-Related Physical Changes 4. Psychosocial, Spiritual, and Cognitive Aspects of Aging
Section 2: Foundations of Gerontological Nursing
5. Gerontological Nursing and Promotion of Healthy Aging 6. Gerontological Nursing Across the Continuum of Care 7. Economic and Legal Issues
Section 3: Fundamentals of Caring
8. Assessment and Documentation for Optimal Care 9. Safe Medication Use 10. Nutrition 11. Hydration and Oral Care 12. Elimination 13. Rest, Sleep, and Activity 14. Promoting Healthy Skin 15. Falls and Fall Risk Reduction 16. Promoting Safety
Section 4: Promoting Health in Chronic Illness
17. Living With Chronic Illness 18. Pain and Comfort 19. Diseases Affecting Vision and Hearing 20. Metabolic Disorders 21. Bone and Joint Problems 22. Cardiovascular and Respiratory Disorders 23. Neurological Disorders 24. Mental Health
Section 5: Caring for Elders and Their Caregivers
25. Care of Individuals With Neurocognitive Disorders 26. Relationships, Roles, and Transitions 27. Caregiving 28. Loss, Death, and Palliative Care
Christine E. Lynn College of Nursing
Florida Atlantic University
Boca Raton, Florida.
Dr. Theris A. Touhy, DNP, CNS, DPNAP
Jett, Kathleen F Gerontological Nurse Practitioner, Oak Hammock at the University of Florida, Department of Aging and Geriatrics, College of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida; Research Consultant, College of Nursing, University of Florida, Gainesville Florida.
Dr. Kathleen F. Jett, PhD, GNP-BC