Not in recent history has the outcome of a U.S. presidential election portended so much for the healthcare industry. Will the Trump administration repeal or replace the Affordable Care Act (ACA)? What will be the fate of MACRA? Will Medicare and Medicaid survive?
These and other uncertainties compound an already daunting landscape that is steering healthcare organizations toward value-based care and alternative payment models and challenging them to up their quality game.
Healthcare Trends & Forecasts in 2017: Performance Expectations for the Healthcare Industry, the 13th annual business forecast, is designed to support healthcare C-suite planning during this historic transition as leaders prepare for both a new year and new presidential leadership.
This 30-page resource begins with a set of metrics that document healthcare organizations' top concerns, challenges and successes in 2016, based on responses to HIN's November 2016 survey. These metrics provide a snapshot of value-based activity and readiness in the industry, including anticipated MACRA participation in 2017 and positioning for value-based reimbursement.
This highly anticipated annual strategic playbook then turns the floor over to industry thought leader Steven Valentine, vice president, Advisory Consulting Services, Premier Inc., who provides a roadmap to the key issues, challenges and opportunities for healthcare organizations in 2017—including what President-Elect Donald J. Trump's 'Better Way' could mean for healthcare.
Now in its 13th year of equipping healthcare executives with a strategic planning agenda for the year ahead, Healthcare Trends & Forecasts in 2017: Performance Expectations for the Healthcare Industry covers the following:
Frank assessment of the 2016 state of healthcare, based on feedback from 104 respondents to HIN's annual Healthcare Trends & Forecasts survey, with benchmarks such as the following:
Greatest challenges faced in 2016:
- Best business decisions and business missteps of 2016;
- Favored business development opportunities for 2017;
- Anticipated 2017 participation level in the CMS Quality Payment Program (MACRA provisions) that begins January 1;
- Business impact of industry shift toward rewarding healthcare value and quality over volume of services; and
- Assessment of organizational positioning to succeed under value-based reimbursement models.
Steven Valentine's roadmap to 2017 success in healthcare details:
- Expectations for the future of the ACA, Medicare and other CMS initiatives and innovations;
- Twelve elements of President-Elect Donald Trump's 'Better Way' healthcare strategy;
- Expectations and advice for health plans and healthcare providers;
- Healthcare's newest players and investors, and what traditional healthcare companies can learn from them;
- Six reasons for the rise of healthcare consumerism;
- Signs of added transparency in healthcare quality data and pricing;
- A new look at the population health continuum and its emerging access points;
- Required elements for ACOs and clinically integrated networks (CIN);
- Eight key areas of focus for 2017 healthcare success;
- Seven guidelines for value-based payments, including the optimal strategy for redesigning healthcare care delivery and payment models;
- Seven hot healthcare trends to monitor, including movement of commercial plans to risk adjustment models;
- and much more.
2017 Healthcare Trends: Survey Results
- Survey Highlights
- Challenges and Solutions
- Successful 2016 Programs and Services
- Best 2016 Business Decisions
- 2016 Business Mistakes and Lessons Learned
- Impact of MACRA and Value-Based Reimbursement in 2016
- About the Survey
- Respondent Demographics
Trends Shaping the Healthcare Industry in 2017: A Strategic Planning Session
- Impact of New Administration’s 'Better Way'
- Health Plans: What to Expect in 2017
- New Players in Health Insurance
- Consumerism: Why Now?
- The Population Health Continuum
- ACO/CIN Structure
- Payment Options and Behavior
- Where Does the Premium Go?
- IDS Collaboration Opportunities
- New Market Entrants and 'Patient Stickiness'
- Emergence of Precision Medicine
- 8 Strategies for 2017 Success
- 7 Guiding Principles for Value-Based Payments
- 9 Healthcare Trends to Track
- Closing Thoughts
Q&A: Ask the Expert
- Addressing Social Determinants of Health
- Retail Clinic Impact on Care Coordination and Population Health
- Integrated Behavioral Healthcare in 2017
- Evolution of Patient Engagement
- The New Administration and the ACA
- Growing the Population Base
- Strategies to Increase 'Patient Stickiness'
- Features of Care Management Sophistication
- For More Information
- About the Contributor