Rapid smartphone adoption and increasing familiarity with digital payments are key drivers for ecommerce in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA). According to our survey, 43% of respondents in SSA make online purchases. Operators in SSA have a role to play in this nascent industry by offering payment services, advertising, and other digital enablement services.
- identifies which communication apps are used most in SSA
- discusses the ways in which consumers balance OTT communications with traditional services
- highlights the main payment mechanisms for ecommerce in SSA
- provides insight into the organisations that consumers in the region are most willing to trust
- analyses the trends in operator-led mobile money usage in SSA.
Survey data coverage:
The research was conducted in August and September 2016. The survey groups were chosen to be representative of the mobile-Internet population in the region. We set quotas on age, gender, employment, and regional demographics to that effect. There was a minimum of 1000 respondents per country, and 4000 respondents in the region.
Who Should Read This Report
Operator-based strategy executives and marketing managers who are interested in understanding consumer market trends, and the changing role of operators as communications and digital service providers.
Market intelligence and research executives in service providers that are responsible for understanding end-user trends and supporting business units in identifying and addressing new opportunities in mobile communications, ecommerce, payments, and identity management.
Equipment/device manufacturers and software providers that want to identify end-user trends in service and device usage and help their operator customers to better address market opportunities in mobile services and services related to ecommerce and payments.