"Operators could play an important role in fostering the development of ecommerce in MENA, but they need to focus on service quality first."
This report focuses on aspects of Analysys Mason's Connected Consumer Survey that relate to the behaviour, preferences and plans of smartphone users in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region. In particular, it focuses on respondents' usage of over-the-top (OTT) communications and digital economy services.
- identifies which communication apps are used most in MENA
- discusses the ways in which consumers balance OTT communications with traditional services
- highlights the main payment mechanisms for ecommerce in MENA
- provides insight into the organisations that consumers in the regions are most willing to trust
- analyses the trends in operator-led mobile money usage in MENA.
Survey data coverage
The research was conducted in August and September 2016. The survey groups were chosen to be representative of the mobile-Internet population in the region. We set quotas on age, gender, employment, and regional demographics to that effect. There was a minimum of 1000 respondents per country, and 4000 respondents in the region.
Key Questions Answered in this Report
- Which OTT communications apps are used most in MENA?
- How do MENA consumers balance OTT communications with traditional services?
- What are the main payment mechanisms for ecommerce in MENA?
- Which organisations are consumers in MENA most willing to trust with their personal data?
- What are the trends in operator-led mobile money service usage in MENA?
Who Should Read this Report
- Operator-based strategy executives and marketing managers who are interested in understanding consumer market trends, and the changing role of operators as communications and digital service providers.
- Market intelligence and research executives in service providers that are responsible for understanding end-user trends and supporting business units in identifying and addressing new opportunities in mobile communications, ecommerce, payments, and identity management.
- Equipment/device manufacturers and software providers that want to identify end-user trends in service and device usage and help their operator customers to better address market opportunities in mobile services and services related to ecommerce and payments.
- Saudi Arabia