This issue explores:
- The global expansion and development of the community college model in various countries and regions around the world,
- Insights into the establishment and sustainability of these institutions in other countries through research and analysis, and
- Case studies that focus on the development and implementation process of community colleges amid various social, political, and economic contexts.
This is the 177th volume of this Jossey–Bass quarterly report series. Essential to the professional libraries of presidents, vice presidents, deans, and other leaders in today′s open–door institutions, New Directions for Community Colleges provides expert guidance in meeting the challenges of their distinctive and expanding educational mission.
EDITORS NOTES 5
Carmen L. McCrink, Heidi Whitford, Natasha C. Stubbs
1. The Global Rise of the U.S. Community College Model 7Audree M. Chase–Mayoral
What elements influence the establishment of community colleges globally?
2. Early Days for the Differentiation Policy Framework in Ontario 17Helen Sianos
This chapter examines the ability to develop an educated workforce via a differentiated postsecondary system.
3. A Partnership for a Community College in Chile 29Carmen L. McCrink, Heidi Whitford
Outcomes of a partnership for a community college in Chile, based on organizational learning theory, are discussed.
4. Models of Community Colleges in Mainland China 41Yi (Leaf) Zhang
This chapter provides an overview of community colleges in Mainland China, current challenges, and future development.
5. Persistence of College Students in the South Korean Academic Credit Bank System 51Yughi Kim, Kyongsuk Yun
Factors that promote the persistence of Korean students enrolled in the Academic Credit Bank System are considered.
6. Understanding Community Colleges in the Indian Context 61Jillian L. Gross
This chapter outlines the postsecondary system in India, providing specific emphasis on the contributions of the community college.
7. South African Universities Viewed Through a Community College Lens 71Kristin Bailey Wilson, Wouter Van Alebeek
Tenets of the American community college are applied within the South African postsecondary context.
8. Comparing Completion Agendas at Community Colleges and Global Counterparts 85Rosalind Latiner Raby, Janice Nahra Friedel, Edward J. Valeau
A comparison of the completion agendas of community colleges and their global counterparts at the institutional and national levels are examined.
9. Global Postsecondary Education 95George R. Boggs, Paul A. Elsner, Judith T. Irwin
A global perspective of the expansion of postsecondary education, inclusive of the commonalities and differences are described.
10. Community Colleges, Human Capital, and Economic Growth in Developing Countries 105Darryl M. Tyndorf Jr., Chris R. Glass
Combining university and community college education to promote the economic growth of developing countries is discussed.