Today’s consumers are highly experimental and innovation-hungry. Taking inspiration from other sectors and categories can provide a unique way to engage consumers. 60% of people are globally finding new experiences to be more exciting than trying new products. Inspiring products from alternative and adjacent categories can assist in driving unique product experiences for these consumers to enjoy.
In non-food categories efficacy and function is often perceived as the key driver for purchase. For example in personal hygiene or household care, cross category inspirations can give consumers the best of both worlds in delivering strong efficacy credentials alongside unique sensory benefits which can in turn provide a valuable differentiator for brands operating within this space.
It has identified the following four key trends driving cross category innovation across Oral hygiene, Personal hygiene, Household care and Pet products:
- Experimentation: Innovation-hungry consumers are seeking to experiment with unique products which can deliver on functionality as well as superior product experience.
- Lifestyle Alignment: Consumers are seeking products which can align with preferences across their lifestyles rather than being confined to a single sector or category.
- “Make it more effective”: Functionality is essential, particularly within the hygiene and home-care categories. Adapting ingredients formats and benefits can enhance efficacy credentials.
- Premiumization: Achieving the best value rather than the lowest price is a key focus for consumers and cross-category inspiration can be a unique differentiation and premiumization strategy.
The report “Cross-Category Innovation Inspirations in Hygiene, Household, and Pet Products” provides a detailed analysis of which categories and sectors are most influencing innovation in hygiene, household, and pet products. The report identifies how brands can innovate to engage consumers. Furthermore, it provides particular key trends driving cross category innovation across Oral hygiene, Personal hygiene, Household care and Pet products.
Companies mentioned in this report: Listerine, Splat, Estee Lauder, Body Shop, Skinfood, Tatcha, Byredo, Clorox, Vernel, Febreze, Lily's Kitchen, The Honest Kitchen, Purina, Whiskas.
2. Consumer insight
3. Cross category innovation inspirations
i. Oral hygiene
ii. Personal hygiene
iii. Household care
iv. Pet products
4. What next?