"TrendSights Analysis: Out-of-Home" provides insight into all occasions when a consumer makes a deliberate stop to use or enjoy a product away from their home, be it eating out at a restaurant, going to a hair salon, or eating lunch at their desk at work. Brands can use this trend to drive sales by positioning themselves as the solution to one of five challenges: solving time-scarcity, meeting consumers' desire to cocoon, providing the best value, meeting consumers' health concerns, and positioning brands as being “anti-hipster”.
Brands can target out-of-home consumption occasions by positioning themselves as the solution to one of five challenges: solving time-scarcity, meeting consumers' desire to cocoon, providing the best value, meeting consumers' health concerns, and positioning brands as being “anti-hipster.” Rather than limiting sales, these challenges will create new opportunities for foodservice brands, salons, and retail products designed to be consumed at work or other out-of-home locations.
- Foodservice outlets need to do more to show that they offer a unique experience: almost three in four consumers think recreating a restaurant-quality meal at home is an achievable goal.
- Delivering value remains a key need. Out-of-home brands should do this by emphasizing treating, and encouraging consumers to not hold back when they do treat themselves.
- 57% of consumers say they often feel like they do not have enough time in the day to cram in all the things they would like to do. Out-of-home brands need to adopt a “counter-culture” message that encourages consumers to slow down, disconnect, and enjoy an experience, or risk losing sales to on-the-go products consumed in transit.
- Understand which audiences and consumption occasions are most affected by the Out-of-Home trend.
- Compare the presence of this trend in each industry across the FMCG space, and learn what the key opportunities are.
- See the actions that major brands are taking to target the best Out-of-Home opportunities.
2. Challenge 1: Time-scarcity
3. Challenge 2: Cocooning
4. Challenge 3: Cost-consciousness
5. Challenge 4: Health
6. Challenge 5: Peak hipster
7. What next?
- Golden Coral
- Hong Kong Soya Sauce Chicken Rice and Noodle
- Little Miss Bento
- Makers Café
- Meltdown Esports Bars
- Merchant Hotel Belfast
- Panera Bread
- Saga Fustli