By the end of Q4 2016, total assets in both local and foreign currencies of Chinese banking institutions amounted to CNY 232.3 trillion, a YOY increase of 15.8%. Large commercial banks held CNY 86.6 trillion, accounting for 37.3% and increasing by 10.8% YOY. Joint-stock commercial banks held CNY 43.5 trillion, accounting for 18.7% and increasing by 17.5% YOY.
Total liabilities in both local and foreign currencies of Chinese banking institutions were CNY 214.8 trillion, a YOY increase of 16%. Large commercial banks held CNY 79.9 trillion, accounting for 37.2% and increasing by 11% YOY. Joint-stock commercial banks held CNY 40.8 trillion, accounting for 19% and increasing by 17.7% YOY.
In 2016, net profits of commercial banks were CNY 1,649 billion, up by 3.54% YOY, which was a 1.11 percentage point increase. The average return on assets in Q4 was 0.98%, down by 0.12 percentage points. The average return on capital was 13.38%, down by 1.6 percentage points.
The Chinese economy will keep growing at over 6% per year, benefitting the banking sector. Forced by external changes, China's banking sector will adopt diversified strategies.
In this report, 25 commercial banks listed in A-share market in China are analyzed.
The report is composed of two parts: the first part is enterprise profiles and the second part is the operation status of these enterprises in the recent decade (presently 2006 to 2016, we will update it to the latest as time goes by).
The operation status is demonstrated from the following perspectives: (1) financial indexes, such as earnings per share, book value per share (BPS), sales per share, net cash flow per share, return on net worth and debt to asset ratio; (2) indexes on the income statement, such as revenue, operating profit, net profit and EBIT; (3) indexes on the income statement, such as revenue, operating profit, net profit and EBIT; (4) indexes on the balance sheet, such as liquid asset, fixed asset, current liability, non-current liability, capital reserve and shareholders' equity.
- Earnings per Share
- Book Value per Share (BPS)
- Sales per Share (SPS)
- Net Cash Flow per Share from Operations
- Net Cash Flow per Share (CNY)
- Return on Net Worth
- Net Profit Margin on Total Assets
- Return on Invested Capital (ROIC) (%)
- Gross Profit Margin on Sales (%)
- Net Profit Margin on Sales (%)
- EBIT Margin (%)
- EBITDA Margin (%)
- Debt to Asset Ratio (%)
- Total Asset Turnover (times)
- Cash/Operating Income Received from Sales of Goods or Services
- YOY Growth Rate of Operating Revenue (%)
- YOY Growth Rate of Operating Profit (%)
- YOY Growth Rate of Net Profit Attributable to Shareholders of Parent Company (%)
2. Summary of Income Statement
- Gross Revenue (CNY, million)
- Total Operating Costs (CNY, million)
- Revenue (CNY, million)
- Operating Profit (CNY, million)
- Total Profit (CNY, million)
- Net Profit (CNY, million)
- Net Profit Attributable to Shareholders of Parent Company (CNY, million)
- Non-recurring Items (CNY, million)
- Net Profit Deducting Non-recurring Items (CNY, million)
- R&D Costs (CNY, million)
- Earnings Before Interest and Tax (EBIT) (CNY, million)
- Earnings Before Interest, Taxes, Depreciation and Amortization (EBITDA) (CNY, million)
3. Summary of Balance Sheet
- Liquid Asset (CNY, million)
- Fixed Asset (CNY, million)
- Long-term Equity Investment
- Total Assets (CNY, million)
- Liquid Liability (CNY, million)
- Non-current Liability (CNY, million)
- Total Liability (CNY, million)
- Capital Reserve (CNY, million)
- Surplus Reserve (CNY, million)
- Undistributed Profit (CNY, million)
- Shareholders' Equity (CNY, million)
- Equity Attributable to Shareholders of Parent Company (CNY, million)
4. Summary of Cash Flow Statement
- Cash Received from Sales of Goods and Services (CNY, million)
- Cash Flow from Operations (CNY, million)
- Cash Paid to Purchase Fixed Assets, Intangible Assets and Other Long-term Assets (CNY, million)
- Cash Paid for Investments (CNY, million)
- Cash Flow from Investments (CNY, million)
- Cash Received from Investors (CNY, million)
- Cash Received from Borrowings (CNY, million)
- Cash Flow from Financing (CNY, million)
- Net Increase of Cash and Cash Equivalents (CNY, million)
- Cash and Cash Equivalents, End of Period (CNY, million)
- Depreciation and Amortization (CNY, million)
- Shanghai Pudong Development Bank Co., Ltd. (600000.SH)
- Hua Xia Bank Co., Limited (600015.SH)
- China Minsheng Banking Corp., Ltd. (600016.SH)
- China Merchants Bank Co., Ltd. (600036.SH)
- Wuxi Rural Commercial Bank Co., Ltd. (600908.SH)
- Bank of Jiangsu Co., Ltd. (600919.SH)
- Bank of Hangzhou Co., Ltd. (600926.SH)
- Bank of Nanjing Co., Ltd. (601009.SH)
- Jiangsu Changshu Rural Commercial Bank Co., Ltd. (601128.SH)
- Industrial Bank Co., Ltd. (601166.SH)
- Bank of Beijing Co., Ltd. (601169.SH)
- Bank of Shanghai Co., Ltd. (601229.SH)
- Agricultural Bank of China Co., Ltd. (601288.SH)
- Bank of Communications Co., Ltd. (601328.SH)
- Industrial and Commercial Bank of China Limited (601398.SH)
- China Everbright Bank Co., Ltd. (601818.SH)
- China Construction Bank Corporation (601939.SH)
- Bank of China Co., Ltd. (601988.SH)
- Bank of Guiyang Co., Ltd. (601997.SH)
- China Citic Bank Corporation Limited (601998.SH)
- Jiangsu Wujiang Rural Commercial Bank Co., Ltd. (603323.SH)
- Ping An Bank Co., Ltd. (000001.SZ)
- Bank of Ningbo Co., Ltd. (002142.SZ)
- Jiangsu Jiangyin Rural Commercial Bank Co., Ltd. (002807.SZ)
- Jiangsu Zhangjiagang Rural Commercial Bank Co., Ltd. (002839.SZ)
Background research defines the range of products and industries, which proposes the key points of the research. Proper classification will help clients understand the industry and products in the report.
Secondhand material research is a necessary way to push the project into fast progress. The analyst always chooses the data source carefully. Most secondhand data they quote is sourced from an authority in a specific industry or public data source from governments, industrial associations, etc. For some new or niche fields, they also "double-check" data sources and logics before they show them to clients.
Primary research is the key to solve questions, which largely influence the research outputs. The analyst may use methods like mathematics, logical reasoning, scenario thinking, to confirm key data and make the data credible.
The data model is an important analysis method. Calculating through data models with different factors weights can guarantee the outputs objective.
The analyst optimizes the following methods and steps in executing research projects and also forms many special information gathering and processing methods.
1. Analyze the life cycle of the industry to understand the development phase and space.
2. Grasp the key indexes evaluating the market to position clients in the market and formulate development plans
3. Economic, political, social and cultural factors
4. Competitors like a mirror that reflects the overall market and also market differences.
5. Inside and outside the industry, upstream and downstream of the industry chain, show inner competitions
6. Proper estimation of the future is good guidance for strategic planning.